Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

Just now, LukeFRC said:

I think @DiMarco is going on actual experience of what happened in the Netherlands. Of course the U.K. wont be in restrictions again in two weeks - even if all the science says we should be we know it will take our glorious leaders a month or so to make the decision. 

Why is the actual experience of the NL the least bit relevant to the UK? Any more than the actual experience of Japan or Sweden? Different approaches.

I know it sticks in the throat of many, but the UK has been right at the forefront, globally, of both getting vaccines developed and also rolled out. This is absolutely the key, no question, to getting things back to normal. There's a reason Macron is now trying to force his more reluctant citizens to get jabbed.

Wearing masks in crowded places has gotta generally be sensible, however. Not debating that one bit. Obviously not such a good idea for vocalists!

Sorry guys the situation here is just rather depressing. NL coloured red on the EU map earlier this week again briefly after restrictions were lifted.
I am feeling rather desperate right now. Oh well another extended period of just work eat sleep I guess.

Meanwhile unvaxxed people enter concerts and dancings with copied QR codes and keep spreading the virus. Guess it is their right to do so. I must be the stupid one.

Maybe alcohol will fix my mood.

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I think @DiMarco is going on actual experience of what happened in the Netherlands. Of course the U.K. wont be in restrictions again in two weeks - even if all the science says we should be we know it will take our glorious leaders a month or so to make the decision. 

I imagine that it will be longer than two weeks before we go back into lockdown if it all goes tits up! The thing is that at some point we have to lift restrictions, but is now the time and is completely lifting all restrictions at the same time the right thing to do? The thing is no one knows because we have never been in anything like this situation before. My worry is that this is being led by internal party politics rather than science.

There is no way that I would go to a football match or a festival where there are tens of thousands of people, but perhaps meeting friends or allowing pubs / smaller venues to open up with a two hundred or so people might be the way forward.

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Why is the actual experience of the NL the least bit relevant to the UK?

British exceptionalism at its finest… 

4 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

Sorry guys the situation here is just rather depressing. NL coloured red on the EU map earlier this week again briefly after restrictions were lifted.
I am feeling rather desperate right now. Oh well another extended period of just work eat sleep I guess.

We're all in the same boat mate, it's not a great time... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DiMarco said:

Meanwhile unvaxxed people enter concerts and dancings with copied QR codes and keep spreading the virus. Guess it is their right to do so. I must be the stupid one.

Gotcha. Well you have a lot sympathy from us for your home situation on this side of the channel, and stupidity is stupidity and needs calling out. I've had similar feelings of desperation when the virus was ripping through other parts of the globe where my relatives have been stuck with far worse health care than we are so fortunate to have in the West.

This is one cruel and unforgiving virus.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Why is the actual experience of the NL the least bit relevant to the UK? Any more than the actual experience of Japan or Sweden? Different approaches.

because some approaches have been better than others, so it makes sense to listen to them.

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I know it sticks in the throat of many, but the UK has been right at the forefront, globally, of both getting vaccines developed and also rolled out.

like listening to pm question time! Whatever the question, that answer is we are world beating at vaccines. Lots of death, yes but vaccines. Lots of corruption, yes but vaccines!

I don't think it sticks in anyone's throat, it is great we have vaccine roll outs  but there is a limit to how secure you can make the barn door after all the horses have bolted.

anyway as previously mentioned, we have a thread for that.

we just have the one indoor gig for next week and luckily it is a big venue, where no one comes up to the front. There is no way we would do some of our pubs at the moment, leave them for a while until this current wave starts going down

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

This is one cruel and unforgiving virus.

It is indeed. 

Perhaps we should consider that we have been very lucky that we haven't had a pandemic for a hundred years. We also have to consider that this is the first time that we have had a worldwide pandemic with a so many people alive at the same time. 

I do know that a pandemic on this scale has been expected by the authorities for thirty plus years. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Why is the actual experience of the NL the least bit relevant to the UK?

because we are talking about the same disease? and possibly the most similar to the UK culturally? 
The vaccination numbers aren't massively different either. 

Netherlands vaccine uptake for 18+         (one dose) 82.4% (full 52.7%)
United Kingdom vaccine uptake for 18+  (one dose) 87.8%, (full 67.8%) 

Why wouldn't we want to learn from our neighbours going through similar situations to us? 

BTW I'm not arguing that the Government did the right things in terms of vaccine procurement, and the NHS has again been brilliant with rollout. 

I work with people around the world and hear quite a lot of my colleagues experience, it's quite telling to get an email from someone, say in Australia grumbling about their lockdown and compare the mortality rate per 100,000 between countries. We're doing well with vaccines, but we've lost so many I don't feel the need to start beating my chest in some kinda nationalistic fervour over that. 

It's kinda not the point, but the Netherlands have just short of half the mortality rate  accounting for population size the UK has (differing measuring methods excepted)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

because we are talking about the same disease? and possibly the most similar to the UK culturally? 
The vaccination numbers aren't massively different either. 

Netherlands vaccine uptake for 18+         (one dose) 82.4% (full 52.7%)
United Kingdom vaccine uptake for 18+  (one dose) 87.8%, (full 67.8%) 

Why wouldn't we want to learn from our neighbours going through similar situations to us? 

BTW I'm not arguing that the Government did the right things in terms of vaccine procurement, and the NHS has again been brilliant with rollout. 

I work with people around the world and hear quite a lot of my colleagues experience, it's quite telling to get an email from someone, say in Australia grumbling about their lockdown and compare the mortality rate per 100,000 between countries. We're doing well with vaccines, but we've lost so many I don't feel the need to start beating my chest in some kinda nationalistic fervour over that. 

It's kinda not the point, but the Netherlands have just short of half the mortality rate  accounting for population size the UK has (differing measuring methods excepted)

Abso-f**king-lutely

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

I went to Lidl today and the pub next to it had a live band playing outside. v loud and heavier stuff than I would go listen to by choice - but they sounded great! so so good to hear live music again, even if from 400m of Lidl carpark away

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

I went to Lidl today and the pub next to it had a live band playing outside. v loud and heavier stuff than I would go listen to by choice - but they sounded great! so so good to hear live music again, even if from 400m of Lidl carpark away

Which Lidl?? I live near you and obviously went to the wrong Lidl today!! 

Hoping everyone will feel better soon no matter where you're based UK or EU. Let's just hope lifting restrictions will play out better then it did over here.
That said, most infections indeed seem to hit the unvaccinated or partly vaccinated. My 14yo daughter will be fully vaxxed before the schools open again.

Luckily the amount of hospitalizations here still remains pretty low let's hope it stays that way.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 2

I think the point is that the rest of the planet is currently watching what is happening here rather than vice versa as we're ahead of the game on vaccine roll out for the vulnerable groups. Europe is 6 to 8 weeks behind us.

This is how vaccines are making a difference:

50,000 covid cases now, that level of cases was last seen back in Jan.

Current daily deaths around 40, that number was north of 1,000 back in Jan

i.e. fatalities have been reduced by over 95% because of the vaccine. That's a huge impact and it's what is underpinning Mickey's ability, to quite, rightly to make this statement:

1 hour ago, Mickeyboro said:

We have to live with this. If the vaccine is effective and enough people get jabbed we will pull through. This is the only time I have agreed 100% with Boris. Take the precautions that make you happy but give others their lives back!

8 minutes ago, peteb said:

Which Lidl?? I live near you and obviously went to the wrong Lidl today!! 

Stanningley, over from the jug and barrel I did wonder that it could have been you, tight band. 
Hang on fb should be able to tell me who it was...

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think the point is that the rest of the planet is currently watching what is happening here rather than vice versa as we're ahead of the game on vaccine roll out for the vulnerable groups. Europe is 6 to 8 weeks behind us.

This is how vaccines are making a difference:

50,000 covid cases now, that level of cases was last seen back in Jan.

Current daily deaths around 40, that number was north of 1,000 back in Jan

i.e. fatalities have been reduced by over 95% because of the vaccine. That's a huge impact and it's what is underpinning Mickey's ability, to quite, rightly to make this statement:

That is a perfectly good point. The counter to that is infections are rising exponentially and no one knows how that will play out in terms of the death rate in a few weeks time and whether this will help to create a variant that is resistant to the vaccines. 

I suppose that my point is why are we lifting all restrictions in one go and that (for example) surely allowing more than 67,000 people to attend a football match was criminally reckless. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

Stanningley, over from the jug and barrel I did wonder that it could have been you, tight band. 
Hang on fb should be able to tell me who it was...

I'm afraid it won't be me playing locally until the end of the year at the earliest! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Söns of röbin @peteb - apparently celebrating a Slovakian bishop

I'm afraid that all the bands I'm currently playing with are a touch heavier than SOR (some in a keyboardy AOR way)! 

Edited by peteb

2 minutes ago, peteb said:

I'm afraid that all the bands I'm currently playing with are a touch heavier than SOR (some in a keyboardy AOR way)! 

I’ve been starved of live music for a year and a half. I am quite happy to explore things outside my comfort zone! :) 

• Like 1

I’ve been starved of live music for a year and a half. I am quite happy to explore things outside my comfort zone! :) 

Cool! Unfortunately, lockdown caught my new pub covers band halfway through rehearsing up a set, so we are starting from scratch again (well not quite, but nowhere near ready to start gigging straight away). 

I will let you know when Sons of Robin are gigging this side of town - always entertaining! Perhaps meet up for a beer?  

• Thanks 1

First gig for us on 31st July here in Bulgaria. Although a lot of bands have been out gigging for months now. It will be the first for us this new band doing original music. We got together just as Covid hit so bad timing in that respect. But at least it took the pressure off of having to "get out there".

It's only a small charity gig for a local dog charity which the individual members of the band have all been helped by at one time or another. So it will be nice to give a bit back. 

It should be a nice little chilled out, outdoor barbeque type gig in the afternoon sunshine. Not a bad way to break a new bands cherry. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peteb said:

I suppose that my point is why are we lifting all restrictions in one go and that (for example) surely allowing more than 67,000 people to attend a football match was criminally reckless. 

It would have so made much more sense if Sterling and Grealish had taken the last two penalties.