Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

We (me and the drummer of my main band) had a meeting with the two guitarists of another band whos bass and drums were stopping, and had a jam along to some songs. Seemed to go well, there might be something in there.

I did however play badly as I was also singing songs I didn't know, its hard to do both.

First gig I've had, since March 2020, was supposed to be on today but got cancelled when the sound engineer got a positive test result (everybody had to be tested on the day of the gig), which means the whole tech crew has now to self isolate.

Rescheduled for 20/6/21.........watch this space.

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

We (me and the drummer of my main band) had a meeting with the two guitarists of another band whos bass and drums were stopping, and had a jam along to some songs. Seemed to go well, there might be something in there.

I did however play badly as I was also singing songs I didn't know, its hard to do both.

If I tried to sing and play, I would lose my band and any hope of gigging 😁

12 minutes ago, gjones said:

First gig I've had, since March 2020, was supposed to be on today but got cancelled when the sound engineer got a positive test result (everybody had to be tested on the day of the gig), which means the whole tech crew has now to self isolate.

Rescheduled for 20/6/21.........watch this space.

Feel for ya! That's a bit gutting.

First show of the year properly confirmed now.

1st of October at Kings Place supporting Ex-Easter Island Head

A band I like a great deal and a venue I've wanted to perform at for a long time, so I'm especially happy. 

https://www.kingsplace.co.uk/whats-on/contemporary/ex-easter-island-head-kelly-jayne-jones-thomas-stone/

Fingers crossed London isn't back in a tier system by October 🤣

• Like 4

Very little going on gig wise around this way. None of the local bands I know are getting bookings really, the odd one maybe but that's it.

Right now Covid is getting considerably more prevalent where I live (which is very rural). Up until now we've been much less effected than other areas. However, the local secondary school is sending kids home left right and centre it seems, something it's not dune since the start. And cases in general are increasing quite a lot ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mep said:

Shouldn't this thread be renamed with Autumn instead of Spring!

We have 2 gigs booked before 19th July which are probably going to get cancelled.

It's touch and go right now, I agree. Fingers crossed for your next couple of gigs. I think those playing outdoors are mostly still good, though? I'm just seeing if I can persuade my missus to go up to a fellow BC'ers outdoor pub gig on 26 June. Should be fun, and he's got a great rig! 

Edited by Al Krow

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...  I'm just seeing if I can persuade my missus to go up to a fellow BC'ers outdoor pub gig on 26 June. Should be fun, and he's got a great rig! 

If it's that good, why don't you go yourself..? -_-

xD :P

• Haha 1

On 01/06/2021 at 13:11, casapete said:

My main band start again on July 10th, although must admit I’m still wondering if that will be possible. The first gig is open air so if the theatre situation doesn’t improve by then it could be our only gig this summer. Fingers crossed.

Just got a new monthly residency in a local pub with my acoustic duo, starting 29th June, again if it’s possible. Really pleased that the landlord has the confidence to book us, so hope we get a good crowd.

Well the open air gig has been put back to early August. Despite being outside (but under cover), social distancing has meant it isn’t viable unless we have a near sell out crowd. Ticket sales had slowed as people understandably don’t have confidence with how it’s going to unfold yet.

Given the way things seem to be going right now I really don’t want to predict what will happen. We’ve lost all of our theatre gigs that were going to be starting mid/late July, although some are going to be re-arranged (again!). As to my pub gig on June 29th, it’s not looking great either. Will probably be moved on to late July , if allowed. 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Our Saturday spot is still going ahead.

https://www.beardyfolkfestival.co.uk/

18 minutes ago, Dazm66 said:

Our slot here at the end of the month has been confirmed as on. Can’t wait. 

Those festivals look great - tempted to get along! (Particularly as the pub gig I mentioned above is also in Colchester!)

Unfortunately, the whole playing gigs again scenario is playing out pretty much as I suspected it might. We are living through the first worldwide pandemic for 100 years and are in uncharted territory. There are bound to be setbacks as the virus mutates and no one knows quite what will happen next.

I suppose you might get the odd gig in if you can play outside or to socially distanced crowds, but I doubt if I will play live before the end of the year at the earliest, as:

1.       The tribute band relies on ticket sales in clubs, for whom socially distanced gigs are economically unviable;

2.       The originals band is looking for support gigs and very few headlining bands will commit to touring at club level this year due to the obvious uncertainty; and

3.       The covers band needs rehearsing up (as do the other bands to a lesser extent) and anyway, is far too loud to play outside pub gigs and wouldn’t really work for socially distanced pub gigs.

On a positive note, the covers band and the original outfit should start rehearsing next month and the covers band even managed to meet up for a few beers in a pub last week…! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

We consider ourselves to be an indoor venue band, we don’t particularly enjoy playing outdoors, so the future for gigging looks pretty grim.

On a positive note, we resumed rehearsing three weeks ago and it’s great to be playing with the guys again.

Edited by steantval

9 hours ago, peteb said:

...3.       The covers band needs rehearsing up (as do the other bands to a lesser extent) and anyway, is far too loud to play outside pub gigs and wouldn’t really work for socially distanced pub gigs.

Pete - I don't quite follow being too loud to play outside venues? Can't you simply dial the volume down and get your drummer to use bamboo rods etc.?

• Haha 1

I wasn't expecting to read this, this morning!!

"The value of British music exports climbed to a record high £519million last year as the popularity of streaming on platforms like Spotify grew massively and made the country the second-biggest music exporter behind the United States."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Pete - I don't quite follow being too loud to play outside venues? Can't you simply dial the volume down and get your drummer to use bamboo rods etc.?

In my experience most drummers would rather not gig ever again than use rods 😄 To be honest I’m inclined to agree! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm afraid not. The drummer in this version of the band is a lot quieter than the previous guy, but it is still an authentic loud(ish) hard rock band. It will still be too loud. Of course, we have played outside gigs but they are generally bigger events than the usual beer garden type gigs that pubs are promoting at the moment. 

Don't get me wrong, I have played in bands that could do these types of gigs, but not at the moment. 

Edited by peteb

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I wasn't expecting to read this, this morning!!

"The value of British music exports climbed to a record high £519million last year as the popularity of streaming on platforms like Spotify grew massively and made the country the second-biggest music exporter behind the United States."

Woohoo - I might get a cheque for 3 pence at the end of the year! 

5 minutes ago, knicknack said:

In my experience most drummers would rather not gig ever again than use rods 😄 To be honest I’m inclined to agree! 

I guess we are very lucky with ours then. He's first love is Death Metal and can play loud! But when he's playing in covers bands he is super professional and will do whatever the venue needs - he completely gets that the volume of the band is pretty much dictated by the need to match the acoustic drums.

Edited by Al Krow