Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

On 28/02/2021 at 07:50, lurksalot said:

I think you are right in general , but those who want a big wedding will still have one and wait a bit .

I know that those who are still working are saving money or spending it on home improvements, I would suspect that those planning a wedding will have a proper blowout and throw even more money at it.

I’m sure they will have to spend more as well, as prices for all sorts of stuff is going through the roof , I expect bands will clock on to to that in due course  and reflect the fact in their fees 

Aye, the youngest daughter had a big wedding two years ago. A three day shindig in South Wales. Cost an absolute fortune and two years of planning. Romance eh? The wife chipped in 4k but most of the money they put up themselves. She knew my take on weddings, "Being married and staying married is infinitely more important than getting married" Still, if they wanted to blow what was probably a good house deposit on a show off wedding then its their choice. My main objection was expecting 70 guests to take 3 days off and shlep all the way to Wales for a party. Bah humbug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikel said:

Aye, the youngest daughter had a big wedding two years ago. A three day shindig in South Wales. Cost an absolute fortune and two years of planning. Romance eh? The wife chipped in 4k but most of the money they put up themselves.

That falls in the completely crazy category for me, but if that is the thing that is important to you, I guess go for it.

My daughter got married on the Isle of Sky up a hill (wedding dress and walking boots!), just them and some officials, then we had parties afterwards.

1 hour ago, mikel said:

My main objection was expecting 70 guests to take 3 days off and shlep all the way to Wales for a party. Bah humbug.

Yes, I remember I was invited to the wedding of a friend a few companies ago, which was fine, nice venue etc. I was contacted by his event organiser with a list of the 'stag do' which involved going to another country for a day out drinking, clay pigeon shooting on some estate and a couple of other things over 3 days - I wouldn't do that for myself, let alone a work coleague!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That falls in the completely crazy category for me, but if that is the thing that is important to you, I guess go for it.

My daughter got married on the Isle of Sky up a hill (wedding dress and walking boots!), just them and some officials, then we had parties afterwards.

Yes, I remember I was invited to the wedding of a friend a few companies ago, which was fine, nice venue etc. I was contacted by his event organiser with a list of the 'stag do' which involved going to another country for a day out drinking, clay pigeon shooting on some estate and a couple of other things over 3 days - I wouldn't do that for myself, let alone a work coleague!

I had a friend who went to Dublin for a stag do,  the Hotel was  a flea infested hell hole and not being a big drinker he caught an early flight home, the Groom was so p1ssed off he cancelled his invite to the wedding 🙄

• 3 weeks later...

We've had an enquiry this morning from a significant venue that will be opening up from May 22nd onwards. Fingers crossed that we manage to bag that or one of the following Saturdays - if we don't then no doubt others will be booked in our place. (Guess I'd better get a Glock 3 band preamp ordered for one of my basses then).

Any others seeing bookings for end May / June starting to coming through?

Edited by Al Krow

15 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I’ve been asked to Dep for a festival gig, end of May bank holiday. They seem very confident it’s going ahead. 
Don’t know how I feel about it. I’m not looking forward to loud volumes again.

That's good news. A good set of ear plugs will see you right! 😊

• Like 1

We have 2 in July, 2 in august and 2 in september so far for the summer, (and others further out as well as some posponed weddings next year) so far. I thought we had something for the end of june but it doesn't seem to be in the calendar, maybe not sorted yet.

• Like 2

So we have 19 gigs booked between June and Dec ( mainly Festivals ) and more coming in daily. I still think some will be canned but at least bookings still appear to be strong-ish. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

EDIT - make that 21 now.

Edited by walshy
  • Like 4

Yeah I think confidence is building for a summer of live music, we have 2 a month booked in so far from July to December, a mix of pubs, legions, parties and dinner dances.  I’m not confident they’ll all go ahead but I’m happy to feel positive again that there is hope and possibly something to look forward to this year.

52 minutes ago, gt4ever said:

Yeah I think confidence is building for a summer of live music, we have 2 a month booked in so far from July to December, a mix of pubs, legions, parties and dinner dances.  I’m not confident they’ll all go ahead but I’m happy to feel positive again that there is hope and possibly something to look forward to this year.

👍😊

I think encouraging each other with positive news is only going to help in terms of building confidence.

One of my BC buddies who's a fantastic chap and a pro bass player (300+ gigs PA before lockdown) has messaged me to say he has 3 bookings for the end of May, which is brilliant.

• Like 1

My band has got 33 gigs booked in for 2021, starting early July, with more to hopefully be added. Also 17 confirmed for 2022 so far. Most of our gigs are in theatres, so good to know that they are confident in committing to book dates. Let’s just hope people don’t abuse the gradual relaxation of lockdown rules and prevent it all from being able to happen. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casapete said:

My band has got 33 gigs booked in for 2021, starting early July, with more to hopefully be added. Also 17 confirmed for 2022 so far. Most of our gigs are in theatres, so good to know that they are confident in committing to book dates. Let’s just hope people don’t abuse the gradual relaxation of lockdown rules and prevent it all from being able to happen. 🙂

Wow! Great job! 

Are you guys originals or covers? (Apologies if that is something I should already know!) Any uploaded links to your crew playing live you can share? 

Edited by Al Krow

We’ve got 16 booked in to date starting with an outdoor gig on the Sunday of May bank holiday 

others are a mixture of pub gig functions and a couple of garden parties which start beginning of July and hopefully will go ahead 

Quite a few of our regular venues are still waiting for budget confirmation but we expect more bookings to start coming in from May 

So good to have gigs to look forward to again 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Wow! Great job! 

Are you guys originals or covers? (Apologies if that is something I should already know!) Any uploaded links to your crew playing live you can share? 

Cheers Al.

I've been in an ELO tribute band for nearly 10 years. Playing is my only income, so can't wait to get back doing it.

https://www.elotribute.com/media.php 

• Like 4