Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

Our local (albeit part of the Edinburgh Fringe) festival have announced they’re going ahead with their disrupted plans from last August. Basement Jaxx DJ Set,  Huey Morgan NYC style street party, Candi Staton gig and a host of other shows but all socially distanced which should make a NYC style block party a little different! No one is more hopeful than me to have a chance to see Candi Staton basically in my back yard but that cautious optimism is still there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peteb said:

Back in lockdown by October then

Well the govt science guys did already say they expect masks and distancing to still be needed in the Winter again.

My concern about festivals is the teenagers. Loads of teens go to festivals and they won't have had the vaccine. 

Of course teens are actually very likely to not even know they've had it at all - but they will spread it and with massive spread comes additional mutations of the virus. Won't take much for vaccine resistant strains to take hold.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Well the govt science guys did already say they expect masks and distancing to still be needed in the Winter again.

My concern about festivals is the teenagers. Loads of teens go to festivals and they won't have had the vaccine. 

Of course teens are actually very likely to not even know they've had it at all - but they will spread it and with massive spread comes additional mutations of the virus. Won't take much for vaccine resistant strains to take hold.

we would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2020 at 16:47, Dad3353 said:

Indeed, it's a refreshing change to read this overflowing 'half-full' glass. There's doubtless more 'stuff' to come, down the road, but Shirley even a little light at the end of this tunnel is a Good Thing..? :friends:

Following a hugely successful vaccination programme that folk across Europe and the rest of the world are looking on at with a degree of envy, announcement of a road map out of lockdown, gigs starting to reappear, music festivals being announced...the stream of negativity from the usual suspects above, reminded me of your comment back last November, Douglas. 

Ah well, c'est la vie, as you very well might say 😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Following a hugely successful vaccination programme that folk across Europe and the rest of the world are looking on at with a degree of envy, announcement of a road map out of lockdown, gigs starting to reappear, music festivals being announced...the stream of negativity from the usual suspects above, reminded me of your comment back last November, Douglas. 

Not negativity, simply realism and natural caution. A "Roadmap" is all fine and dandy as long as the reduction in infections is linear, but who can second guess mutations. I want back to normal as much as anyone, but only when it is safe. The last 12 months should make everyone err on the side of caution, and wait until it is safe before hanging out the bunting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Indeed - it's all about caution. Anybody can write a roadmap. Doesn't necessarily mean that it is anything but a work of fiction. Time will tell - and what you have to remember that grouping drunk people together with no common sense will no doubt lead to an increase in infection. I will be watching the figures in the weeks post 21 June with much interest. Im hoping things will improve... but then again, we are dealing with a lot of knuckleheads in the UK.

I'll be also watching all the people getting infected whilst going on holiday and returning to the UK, maybe without quarantine. Yes, the government said you can travel... but you can bet your bottom dollar that the government travel advise on the official websites will be telling a different tale. You've got to keep the people happy - whilst having a get out of jail card in your back pocket. "We said you could go on holiday - doesn't mean we would recommend it..."

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I'll be delighted to see Hancock & Johnson gettin' dahn wiv da kids at Reading..............

😎

I can't understand that decision at this moment in time but hey. At least somebody will be holding onto ticket buyers money. I hope people have purchased them on credit cards!

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not really negativity - just realism.

We have a vaccination programme in conjunction with a lockdown - but which is impacting the figures?  The vaccine?  The lockdown?  Both?  It's an unknown - if you change two variables you cannot say for certain which change is having the greater impact.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey here, that's all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Following a hugely successful vaccination programme that folk across Europe and the rest of the world are looking on at with a degree of envy

For those who haven't already opened stuff up because they never had the problems we caused, yes.

Still to be positive. Considering how monumentally badly we handed it at the start, I am impressed with the way things are going now. Maybe the government ran out of friends to organise it and had to use qualified people? Perish the thought :D

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

This one should be a treat for all of you glass half empty brigade - enjoy! 

I'm as far from a negative individual as you can get.  In fact, I'm one of the most positive, upbeat people you're going to come across but experience tells me that the average UK knucklehead is just unable to think of anyone except themselves and that once again this will cause problems for the rest of us trying to stick to published guidelines.

I hope I'm proved wrong, I really do, but I don't expect that I will be sadly 😢

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

I'm as far from a negative individual as you can get.  In fact, I'm one of the most positive, upbeat people you're going to come across but experience tells me that the average UK knucklehead is just unable to think of anyone except themselves and that once again this will cause problems for the rest of us trying to stick to published guidelines.

I hope I'm proved wrong, I really do, but I don't expect that I will be sadly 😢

Oh no your not.....

On 25/02/2021 at 12:24, Al Krow said:

This one should be a treat for all of you glass half empty brigade - enjoy! 

I am neither a glass half empty guy, or part of any brigade. You seem to labour under the misapprehension that anyone not 100% for something must ergo be 100% against it. Real life is not like that.

Edited by mikel
Adition
  • Like 3