Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

They are "weird and wacky" US band who were briefly interesting about 20 years ago.

You should hear their version of Dark Side of the Moon. It takes a special kind of weird and wacky to cover a concept album that is regarded by many as one of the greatest records ever from start to finish!

• Like 2

On 24/01/2021 at 19:03, Woodinblack said:

lets face it, everyone is currently better than us, as we are literally the worst, so I say, look at what anyone else does and follow them.

Woody you know I'm a huge fan of Ibby basses and also the Boss SY-1 which I've very grateful for you introducing me to! But I do think that's being a little harsh?

This thread was really all about celebrating the fact that Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford AZ had each developed a vaccine in record time and also that the Oxford AZ one didn't need to be stored at -80OC and was being made available to the world at cost (unlike all other providers). I know a number of folk questioned the ability of the NHS to roll this out to the general population, but they are doing a brilliant job and I applaud them. We all should. The sooner that we can get our schools open and things moving again with the economy, the better; and we can then start to make some in-roads into major issues like children's mental health and cancer care.

And tying it into the thread even more if I may: one of my bands just had a gig enquiry for the start of Aug - ok I agree that is 9 weeks after the end of May, but at least it's something! Any of you guys also starting to getting any gig "nibbles"?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

But I do think that's being a little harsh?

Harsh? How? It is a clearly measurable and demonstrably true.

When comes to deaths per capita head we are the worst of any country. By any comparison you are trying to bat away (yes, we are bigger than NZ etc) there is one that is the opposite (yes, we half the population of Japan and 20 times the deaths, and they are right next to China).

every other modern nation (and many of the others) with our skills and our resources managed better. However much flag waving you want to do (and you really seem to want to do a lot), we have been presented with a crisis and we have failed to rise to the challenge.

This thread was really all about celebrating the fact that Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford AZ had each developed a vaccine in record time and also that the Oxford AZ one didn't need to be stored at -80OC and was being made available to the world at cost (unlike all other providers).

This thread is, but not that part of the thread, that is a change of subject. 

I know a number of folk questioned the ability of the NHS to roll this out to the general population, but they are doing a brilliant job and I applaud them. We all should. 

they are doing a brilliant job now the government have largely got out of their way. I applaud them too and always will. 
they are doing well for a government entity run by donkeys

The sooner that we can get our schools open and things moving again with the economy, the better; and we can then start to make some in-roads into major issues like children's mental health and cancer care.

this much is obvious although again, although once this is over I am sure the government can demonstrate how it shows how great they ran the nhs so they can sell more of it to their mates

And tying it into the thread even more if I may: one of my bands just had a gig enquiry for the start of Aug - ok I agree that is 9 weeks after the end of May, but at least it's something! Any of you guys also starting to getting any gig "nibbles"?

I am not bothering to look until there is a reason to assume that things are going well by the summer

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

This thread was really all about celebrating the fact that Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford AZ had each developed a vaccine in record time and also that the Oxford AZ one didn't need to be stored at -80OC and was being made available to the world at cost (unlike all other providers).

First off the bat - we all want normality.

It’s as others have said with flag waiving - AZ is Swedish - there are currently wrangles with its dealings with providing Europe with vaccines, and I wouldn’t brandish with certainty the supply for cost worldwide - it is well reported that South Africa are paying double the cost of EU countries, and other smaller countries will have a torrid time getting vaccines in at decent prices as being poor they have no bargaining chips.

Before the - well we are getting our country right argument flops out - it’s short sighted - it’s a global pandemic that needs a global response as guess what, we travel all over the place and mix with everyone and if it’s not under control or partially controlled, it mutates - such as the South African type variant we are seeing.

Pretty much no one can polish or roll this turd in glitter

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

First off the bat - we all want normality.

Do we?

Normality is austerity and growing inequality and the lack of government action on climate change. Normality is Billionaire wealth increasing while homeless people die on the streets. 

Normality is never being able to afford to buy a house, being saddled with a lifetime of student debt, and zero hours contracts.

Normality is the problem.

• Like 4

A report in either The Independent or Sky stated that many scientists believe 'normal' is 2 to 3 years away.  And that is contingent on the vaccines being successful and their roll out worldwide being successful. 

Impatience and '1st world' boredom is probably the factor that most endangers vaccine roll out success worldwide

40 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I don’t actually want a gig this side of April. Why would I want to complicate my self assessment return?

Actually quite an interesting point EBS - I presume you normally pay tax on your gigging earnings then? I guess that would be the case if you're a semi-pro or pro and your music is a "business carried and with a view to making a profit" (i.e. it's not a hobby) and your income from gigs during the year is more than your outgoings (gear, rehearsal, petrol etc)?

My gigging money easily covers day to day costs such rehearsals, consumables (strings) and petrol money but it's got a fair way to go before it covers the cost of my kit!

15 minutes ago, Marvin said:

A report in either The Independent or Sky stated that many scientists believe 'normal' is 2 to 3 years away.  And that is contingent on the vaccines being successful and their roll out worldwide being successful. 

Impatience and '1st world' boredom is probably the factor that most endangers vaccine roll out success worldwide

Yeah I could see Covid injections becoming annual events for many of us in the way that flu vaccinations have.

10 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Do we?

Normality is austerity and growing inequality and the lack of government action on climate change. Normality is Billionaire wealth increasing while homeless people die on the streets. 

Normality is never being able to afford to buy a house, being saddled with a lifetime of student debt, and zero hours contracts.

Normality is the problem.

I get you - and granted yes - by normality I was merely referring to being able to move more freely and enjoy certain aspects of life as best we can - the rest as you put it is effed up and is on all of us to try to improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Actually quite an interesting point EBS - I presume you normally pay tax on your gigging earnings then? I guess that would be the case if you're a semi-pro or pro and your music is a "business carried and with a view to making a profit" (i.e. it's not a hobby) and your income from gigs during the year is more than your outgoings (gear, rehearsal, petrol etc)?

My gigging money easily covers day to day costs such rehearsals, consumables (strings) and petrol money but it's got a fair way to go before it covers the cost of my kit!

Correct.

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My gigging money covers the cost of my kit. For the last 4 years or so I only bought things when it is covered by the money I have got gigging, or selling other things. My gigging money drawer is looking a bit poor at the moment!

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

My gigging money covers the cost of my kit. For the last 4 years or so I only bought things when it is covered by the money I have got gigging, or selling other things. My gigging money drawer is looking a bit poor at the moment!

I've actually sold more in the last year than I bought, which is a first for me in 5 years! Nearly spent some of it on a bass over the weekend that I didn't need, but the EQ was sadly a little shot. I guess not surprising for a nearly 20 y/o bass.

Edited by Al Krow