Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, ambient said:

Meanwhile they’re discussing tightening the travel restrictions, and possibly banning foreign holidays this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/23/summer-holidays-cancelled-uk-faces-big-decision-on-border

It’s funny how quickly people were willing to sign up to closing the borders over fears of immigrants, but a deadly global pandemic and we wait almost a year 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 5

I somewhat flippantly said that it'd be January 2023 (I'll be 50 then) before gigs would be back in any meaningful way. With the way that the pandemic has been so grotesquely mishandled in the UK I'm coming to the opinion that this may well be the earliest gigs might be in any way back.

• Like 3

That's two years from now. We're not even a year into this pandemic (at least here) and we've made massive progress already. Not enough, but still progress. SURELY, things will have improve before January 2023. That's the most pessimistic (and unrealistic) thing I've read. I'm no scientist, but maybe, a year from now is more realistic than two,

I've just seen a clip of he Last Leg, featuring mathematician Dr Hannah Fry talking about what to expect from 2021 and onwards. She says that she is 'optimistic' that live music will return in January 2022. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

Ebola lasted for 3 years (although they still have outbreaks now). We have 38000 people in hospital in the UK and 1400 Covid deaths yesterday, and during the week it almost hit 2000 per day. 

The UK doesn't have a robust test and trace system, it's always too slow and doesn't react hard enough. The result is that the UK is never ahead of the situation. In many ways the whole of Europe is treating this as flu outbreak. In countries that have dealt with it more effectively it's been treated as SE Asia treated the SARS outbreak...

EDIT: And just to illustrate where priorities are in the UK, I've just seen on my Facebook feed that Taunton Race Course, which is one of the mass vaccination centres (aiming to vaccinate 900 people a day) was closed today for...the horse racing meet.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

EDIT: And just to illustrate where priorities are in the UK, I've just seen on my Facebook feed that Taunton Race Course, which is one of the mass vaccination centres (aiming to vaccinate 900 people a day) was closed today for...the horse racing meet.

Someone’s popped a bet on June the 1st instead of May 31st for gigs and increased their odds

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Ebola lasted for 3 years (although they still have outbreaks now). We have 38000 people in hospital in the UK and 1400 Covid deaths yesterday, and during the week it almost hit 2000 per day. 

The UK doesn't have a robust test and trace system, it's always too slow and doesn't react hard enough. The result is that the UK is never ahead of the situation. In many ways the whole of Europe is treating this as flu outbreak. In countries that have dealt with it more effectively it's been treated as SE Asia treated the SARS outbreak...

You are aware who’s head of the jockey club?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, peteb said:

I've just seen a clip of he Last Leg, featuring mathematician Dr Hannah Fry talking about what to expect from 2021 and onwards. She says that she is 'optimistic' that live music will return in January 2022. 

I've a lot of time for Dr Hannah Fry. Always explains the reasoning behind her statements and I loved the idea of another " Roaring 20's" to come like after the Spanish Flu of 1918 - 20.

3 minutes ago, ambient said:

You are aware who’s head of the jockey club?

I hope you aren't referring to the 'employed entirely down to her merits at overseeing the biggest data breach at talk talk but ultimately wife of tory minister so it doesn't matter' Dido harding? She isn't the head, she is just on the board. They have a new head as the old one had to stand down.

• Thanks 1

I'm amused that certain learned gents, who should know better, find it difficult to understand the difference between a "vaccine" and "test and trace". That point is not rocket science, surely?

128 days till May 31st - just an educated guess, nothing more / nothing less. When you're not employed by the State, particularly if you're running a business employing others, it's something you have to be doing all the time. (And tbf it's not something limited to folk working in the private sector just have to do - plenty in the Public sector in leadership / management positions are having to make educated guesses very regularly too).

Let's hope the date pub and other gigs restart is sooner rather than later, whether or not we get there by the end of May, for the sake of the hospitality industry in the UK which has been the whipping boy in this pandemic.

And I'm delighted that we are rolling out the vaccine at record pace across the UK - it's great news for all our elderly and frail. Something to be celebrated and credit where it's due.

Edited by Al Krow

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm amused that certain learned gents, who should know better, find it difficult to understand the difference between a "vaccine" and "test and trace". That point is not rocket science, surely?

128 days till May 31st - just an educated guess, nothing more / nothing less. When you're not employed by the State, particularly if you're running a business employing others, it's something you have to be doing all the time. 

Let's hope the date pub and other gigs restart is sooner rather than later, whether or not we get there by the end of May, for the sake of the hospitality industry in the UK which has been the whipping boy in this pandemic.

And I'm delighted that we are rolling out the vaccine at record pace across the UK - it's great news for all our elderly and frail. Something to be celebrated and credit where it's due.

The point being made is that the test and trace system was ballsed up, the vaccine system, the vaccination system has already been altered not for clinical effectiveness as shown by elongation of the timeframe and stopping vaccinations for a race meet.

128 days you say is an educated guess, but what are the resources used to make the educated guess, that was the question asked?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

And I think you are missing the fact that both are things that should be run by one of the many millions of people who could easily run it, but when it becomes a political issue, the. It tends to be run by a politician who has different goals and lower abilities in the actual task.

as for the vaccine role out, yes, the faster the better but if it turns out we are actually throwing away the Pfizer vaccine for political points scoring so that we can be faster than others then many people are going to be pretty unhappy and your may gig will be in doubt. 

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2

In any case there is no evidence that vaccinated people can't spread the virus after vaccination.

And given the need to provide all of the 15? Million in the first four bands with a second vaccine within 12 (or is it now 6 wks) then it will be a while before the vaccination is at a good percentage of the population. And the US will be entering the market for a lot of vaccine after the Trump vaccine scam (or at least gross overstatement). 

Im not expecting indoor gigs before at least mid 2022 - who knows whether there'll be a third wave winter 2021-2 either. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

128 days till May 31st - just an educated guess, nothing more / nothing less. When you're not employed by the State, particularly if you're running a business employing others, it's something you have to be doing all the time. (And tbf it's not something limited to folk working in the private sector just have to do - plenty in the Public sector in leadership / management positions are having to make educated guesses very regularly too).

Everyone is aware of the difference, it seems its only you who cant grasp the point being made about claiming "World class" status, for anything. Who cares, just do what is needed to get us out of this and stop making stupid nationalistic claims.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You willing to put a wager on this? Money can be held by a mod and winner can direct to a charity of their choosing.

What date do you reckon pub gigs will start then? Name your date and whoever gets it closest wins.

No, I wouldn’t want to bet on when pub gigs will get back to normal, because frankly I haven’t got a clue when that will be.

We are currently running at around 1,500 Covid deaths per day and Britain has the highest number of deaths per capita in Europe. This is expected to last well into February. The UK’s vaccination programme is running into serious logistical problems (like others in Europe), but British exceptionalism demands that we create a few headline figures so the UK is pressing ahead with maximising the number of people who get the first vaccine without the follow up dose. Of course, this will do little to stop the spread of the pandemic.

The only gig I’ve got in the diary for this year is a club in May. Until a couple of months ago, I was relatively optimistic that this would go ahead. However, this has been overtaken by events and we will not be doing that gig (and I doubt that the club would consider going ahead with it). As it happens, this was double booked with a mate’s wedding (already postponed from a year ago). They will go ahead with a small ceremony, but the big wedding and reception was cancelled before Christmas.

I suppose that it is possible that there might be some sort of outside gigs with a socially distanced audience in the summer, but I’m not expecting to play a proper gig until winter next year at the earliest, quite possibly early 2022. I hope that there the Govt learn their lesson and don’t cave in and allow live music / pubs to open without restrictions too soon, otherwise we will be in the same position this time next year, wondering if there will be in any gigs before January 2023…!

• Like 4

I can see this thread has evolved from it's original theme.

I don't know what sort of gigs I'll get back to playing.

I can't see the sort of shows I was doing in 2018 and 2019 happening again for a very long time and I don't know if I'd be bothered with them.

I have two shows planned for 2021, both streamed, which I'm happy to admit is a complete U-turn as I said I'd not do a streamed show again.

These are going to be reasonably ambitious, will cost far more to do than a "normal" gig and it's uncertain whether they'll be ticketed (I still don't know how feasible ticketed online shows are) as they will exist to promote my next EP.

I can see there will be a rush to put on shows in some capacity as soon as its allowed, but I can only see this will be a short window of opportunity and restrictions will be put in place again. I don't want the emotional investment of preparing for gigs that can then be cancelled

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodwind said:

I can see this thread has evolved from it's original theme.

I don't know what sort of gigs I'll get back to playing.

I can't see the sort of shows I was doing in 2018 and 2019 happening again for a very long time and I don't know if I'd be bothered with them.

I have two shows planned for 2021, both streamed, which I'm happy to admit is a complete U-turn as I said I'd not do a streamed show again.

These are going to be reasonably ambitious, will cost far more to do than a "normal" gig and it's uncertain whether they'll be ticketed (I still don't know how feasible ticketed online shows are) as they will exist to promote my next EP.

I can see there will be a rush to put on shows in some capacity as soon as its allowed, but I can only see this will be a short window of opportunity and restrictions will be put in place again. I don't want the emotional investment of preparing for gigs that can then be cancelled

Have you seen how Matt Garrison has been doing his streamed shows Thomas? They’re ticketed, you pay in advance, and then they email you a link.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 00:00, Al Krow said:

"St John's Ambulance is training up 30,000 volunteers to help the NHS administer the jabs"

I appreciate this won't be what the half glass empty brigade, who seem all too happy to put this country and it's democratically government down at every opportunity, will want to hear.

Of course mistakes are going to be made along the way - it's not like there's a play-book for dealing with this current global pandemic. But personally, I believe in the resilience and capability of our plucky nation to get through this Covid-19 crisis, together.

Unfortunately for the "plucky Brits " story, there absolutely is a playbook. WHO has one that was followed by New Zealand. Anyone know what the current COVID stats are in New Zealand?

• Like 7