Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

23 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

just been on the phone with my friend who is a doctor in A&E. She's just treated a 55 year old in difficulties who contracted COVID by sharing a car with someone. 'We only shared a journey for 15 minutes so we didn't think masks would be necessary'!!!

You can't make it up.

I hope they end up ok, but Some of the stories I have are positively Darwinian....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

just been on the phone with my friend who is a doctor in A&E. She's just treated a 55 year old in difficulties who contracted COVID by sharing a car with someone. 'We only shared a journey for 15 minutes so we didn't think masks would be necessary'!!!

You can't make it up.

I’ve just shown this to my dad. He thought I was being funny this morning, when I told him he couldn’t go with my brother in his car to collect a prescription. My dad had his first vaccination a fortnight ago, we have to keep reminding him that nothing has really changed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ambient said:

I think when you see comments like this, from Chris Whitty, you can pretty much write off gigging for the foreseeable future - copied and pasted from the Guardian’s live feed.

Q. Can those who have been vaccinated mix together?

Whitty says even with a very effective vaccine, there’s a period of time straight after where there’s no effect for 2 or 3 weeks.

That protection won’t even be complete with two vaccines, he says.

At the moment, a very large proportion of people you come into contact with could have the virus, he says - on average 1 in 55, or 1 in 35 in London.

There is a residual risk even if you’ve had the vaccine, he says.

The rates of infections need to come right down by staying at home while others get vaccinated, he says.

Vallance says we still don’t know how effective the vaccines are at stopping you from catching the virus or passing the virus on.

It’s very important not to assume you can’t catch it or pass it on after vaccination, he says.

7m ago 17:21

They are taking questions from the public now.

Q. Will the delay in getting a second dose of the vaccine reduce levels of protection and if so how much?

Whitty says the first dose gives the great majority of the protection, but the second increases that and makes it longer lasting too.

The idea is to double the number of people that can get vaccinated, he says.

Because our major limitation is the number of vaccines the UK has to give, half the number of people would have been vaccinated in this very risky period if we hadn’t extended the time, he says.

Once you get protection initially it lasts a reasonable period of time, he says, likely up to five months, like if you had the virus.

Ok, so there’s no end in sight then?! Even if we vaccinate all the vulnerable, he’s implying that 

1/ it might not be efficient

2/ it might only last 5 months

Are we ever going to get back to a kind of normal life then?! With shops, bars, restaurants, gigs, family gatherings?!!!

6 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Ok, so there’s no end in sight then?! Even if we vaccinate all the vulnerable, he’s implying that 

Are we ever going to get back to a kind of normal life then?! With shops, bars, restaurants, gigs, family gatherings?!!!

Who knows. The experts don’t know with any degree of certainty. One thing I do know, is I’m going to keep the promise I made to myself - I’m going to take full advantage of every musical opportunity that I’m offered when it is over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Nope. "Normal" is gone. I said that almost from the start of this thing. We will adapt, things will eventually move on one way or another. But life before and life learning to live with Covid, will be two very different worlds. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Nope. "Normal" is gone. I said that almost from the start of this thing. We will adapt, things will eventually move on one way or another. But life before and life learning to live with Covid, will be two very different worlds. 

Oh thanks Dr Newfoundfreedom :)

I know we’ll have to learn to live with it. But to what extent?!! Surely, what we all love doing needs to come back. With stricter/improved measures, yes, but you can’t expect humans to give up going out or going to a gig....

4 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

I know we’ll have to learn to live with it. But to what extent?!! Surely, what we all love doing needs to come back. With stricter/improved measures, yes, but you can’t expect humans to give up going out or going to a gig....

It's going to take time. We all need to get vaccinated (properly, not in a way to boost govt headline statistics) and then covid will mutate until it becomes just another flu like illness. It will be a long time before it disappears completely (if it ever does) and it will take a diligent vaccine programme before it stops killing people en masse. Welcome to the new normal... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Well, they gave up bear-bating, and public hangings. Tyburn used to be a favourite picnic spot, on 'Hanging Days'. No more, though. 

JGFm4fc.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Sarcasm?

Nope, straight up (for some pub gigs anyway).

That's 16 weeks away. A lot can improve in that time, as crap as things seem right now.

We have the best vaccination programme in Europe here in the UK, by some margin; and one of the best in the world.

Edited by Al Krow

49 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I think you’re right - I try and remain positive, hoping we’ll get a semblance of normality later in the year - but the more rational part of me believes that what we had has gone. There will be live music, but not I think as we once knew it. There’s a French classical guitarist that I follow, I’ve seen him doing concerts recently - though a classical concert is obviously a far more restrained affair than your typical pub gig.

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nope, straight up (for some pub gigs anyway).

That's 16 weeks away. A lot can improve in that time, as crap as things seem right now.

We have the best vaccination programme in Europe here in the UK, by some margin; and one of the best in the world.

How many will have been vaccinated by then, more to the point though, how many will have received the second vaccination then?  My parents don't get their second injection until April. The first dose only gives a maximum protection of 52%, which lasts - according to Chris Whitty just four or five months - that’s according to his comments at today’s press conference. I seriously cannot see them allowing live music to take place in pubs in May.

58 minutes ago, peteb said:

There's a thin line between blind optimism and stupidity

You willing to put a wager on this? Money can be held by a mod and winner can direct to a charity of their choosing.

What date do you reckon pub gigs will start then? Name your date and whoever gets it closest wins.

Edited by Al Krow