Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

Quick! Call the lockdown police! 😜

Exercise in the local vicinity is permitted - just ask Boris who was on one of his bikes recently in a park down the road from me.

I find that a 2 hour set and loading and unloading all the gear gives me a pretty good work out. Usually manage to work up a sweat.

I just need to rebrand my local pub as a gym and we're good to go.

Now where the heck did I leave that Shadows set list?...

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Exercise in the local vicinity is permitted - just ask Boris who was on one of his bikes recently in a park down the road from me.

For what ive read in the media, it seems you can walk as far as you can, you just cant use transport to get there lol.

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Haha. Ive started wearing glasses some days, and my GF often says ‘you doing the full 500 today’ as I’m going out. 

Love the fact that you still refer to her as your GF, mate, after all these years! That is actually rather lovely. Been a LONG time since I called my missus that 😁

Realistically the hospitality trade is going to be the last to re-open and I think May is very optimistic.

The government do not appear to like pubs/clubs which is surprising considering the tax revenue they generate.

In the North West the leading 5 breweries proved hospitality was probably safer than anywhere. When pubs were about to shut again in November after only a few months of being released from lockdown 1, the 5 major breweries put a report together that indicated from around 8 million customers there was not 1 single case of reported transmission of the virus.
The pubs in my area did a fantastic job and all for what?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, krispn said:

No flurry of updates following today’s news? 

It’s going to be the autumn at the earliest I reckon. Apparently the fat controller wouldn’t commit to lockdown being over before the summer. A single jab isn’t a vaccination, giving at a maximum 52% protection. It’ll be ages before everyone has had two injections. My parents had their first shot two weeks ago, they had a call today notifying them that their next injection is due early April.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 21:22, BassBunny said:

Realistically the hospitality trade is going to be the last to re-open and I think May is very optimistic.

The government do not appear to like pubs/clubs which is surprising considering the tax revenue they generate.

In the North West the leading 5 breweries proved hospitality was probably safer than anywhere. When pubs were about to shut again in November after only a few months of being released from lockdown 1, the 5 major breweries put a report together that indicated from around 8 million customers there was not 1 single case of reported transmission of the virus.

Hospitality was sacrificed at the alter of Education, the City Centre pubs where all the youngster went gave the wrong impression, most of the local boozers went out of their way to follow the rules and kept infections right down, but were kicked in the bollocks for their efforts

I think we'll be lucky to see any meaningful gigs before May next year, let alone this year. 

I can't see how this year is going to be anything other than another write off. By the time enough people have been vaccinated to make any difference, (if even enough people take up the vaccine to begin with) it's going to be towards the end of the year. Then I can see a slow and tentative rollout early into next year. With a couple of false starts as figures peak a couple of times as things initially start to open up again.

I hate to be a naysayer, but I honestly don't see any outcome other than this. I guess time will tell. 

• Like 3

On 13/01/2021 at 21:22, BassBunny said:

I'm absolutely convinced that closing pubs and banning booze in restaurants was all about optics rather than there being any proven risk. Simply, the government need to be seen to be doing something to combat the rising infection rates. Pubs were an easy target and an easy sell to the public.
After all, they're a luxury. Some people won't follow social distancing etc when drinking, and even at the best of times some folk consider pubs a nuisence. Especially those who choose to live near them then complain about this noise!

Regarding the actual data, when hospitality in Scotland was closed for two weeks in October (still ongoing!), the evidence document provided stated something like 20% of all people testing positive had visited a pub, restaurant or cafe in the seven days preceeding the test. This was presented by many as hospitality being responsible for one in five cases. Clearly a bit of a leap.

I'd have been interested in the percentage of the general population who visited a hospitality venue in the same time period. I suspect it would be something like 20%...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, geoham said:

I'm absolutely convinced that closing pubs and banning booze in restaurants was all about optics rather than there being any proven risk. Simply, the government need to be seen to be doing something to combat the rising infection rates. Pubs were an easy target and an easy sell to the public.

The pubs and restaurants were not to blame, it was the Mr and Mrs Silly Billy visiting them that forced the government to close them down. 

If we agree wearing face masks in public and keeping our distance  from others works, it’s obvious why places like pubs and places selling booze were shut. 

Its not the government, its people not giving a toss, and this is more likely to happen when you have had a few drinks. Pretty bloody obvious IMO.

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

The pubs and restaurants were not to blame, it was the Mr and Mrs Silly Billy visiting them that forced the government to close them down. 

If we agree wearing face masks in public and keeping our distance  from others works, it’s obvious why places like pubs and places selling booze were shut. 

Its not the government, its people not giving a toss, and this is more likely to happen when you have had a few drinks. Pretty bloody obvious IMO.

you are entitled to your opinion but the figures suggest something different, we went through the summer with schools shut and pubs open and the virus was under control, as soon as the education system went back, boom. You can't blame the cooler weather either, otherwise places like India and Brazil wouldn't have a problem

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Have I missed something? What was the "News"? I very rarely watch terrestrial tv these days and certainly not any news programs.

I suspect that it was Johnson refusing to confirm that the lockdown - or at least restrictions - wouldn’t be continuing into the summer. Basically he doesn’t know, he’d be guessing if he did. Bearing in mind where we currently are, it would be rather foolish - even for him - to give a forecast about what might be happening in six months time.

4 minutes ago, ambient said:

I suspect that it was Johnson refusing to confirm that the lockdown - or at least restrictions - wouldn’t be continuing into the summer. Basically he doesn’t know, he’d be guessing if he did. Bearing in mind where we currently are, it would be rather foolish - even for him - to give a forecast about what might be happening in six months time.

Ah gotcha. He's been wrong with every other date so maybe he has learnt to keep his big wazoo shut.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I'm not sure I agree. The pubs and restaurants I visited (which admittedly were very few and in the afternoon) were very well managed and seemed low risk. You had to be sat at a table, and couldn't order from the bar - table service only. Tables were well spaced with plastic screens in some areas. It made it very difficult for those not giving a toss to cause problems. It was certainly more controlled than people having drinks at home instead - and while this may be technically banned, it's absolutely still going on.

I firmly believe hospitality was used as a scapegoat. It's been effectively closed down in Scotland since October and infection rates have done nothing but continue to rise. 

To be clear - I'm not suggesting that pubs should be open now - the situation is far too serious at the moment. I'm stating that (in Scotland at least), hospitality was basically the key focus of the tier system and the October 'circuit breaker' with little evidence to support it. The awful death rates being reported now suggest they powers that be got it wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geoham said:

I'm not sure I agree. The pubs and restaurants I visited (which admittedly were very few and in the afternoon) were very well managed and seemed low risk. You had to be sat at a table, and couldn't order from the bar - table service only. Tables were well spaced with plastic screens in some areas. It made it very difficult for those not giving a toss to cause problems. It was certainly more controlled than people having drinks at home instead - and while this may be technically banned, it's absolutely still going on.

I firmly believe hospitality was used as a scapegoat. It's been effectively closed down in Scotland since October and infection rates have done nothing but continue to rise. 

To be clear - I'm not suggesting that pubs should be open now - the situation is far too serious at the moment. I'm stating that (in Scotland at least), hospitality was basically the key focus of the tier system and the October 'circuit breaker' with little evidence to support it. The awful death rates being reported now suggest they powers that be got it wrong.

I think there are pubs, and there are pubs. I've seen pictures and videos (from people I actually know, not click bait) of city centre pubs and whole streets absolutely heaving in-between lockdown with people drinking and partying, and not giving two s##ts about any kind of distancing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I think there are pubs, and there are pubs. I've seen pictures and videos (from people I actually know, not click bait) of city centre pubs and whole streets absolutely heaving in-between lockdown with people drinking and partying, and not giving two s##ts about any kind of distancing. 

Any pubs allowing this type of thing should have been absolutely hammered.

However, the governments need to take some responsibility for the crowded streets. Mandating that all pubs closed at 10, 8 or 6 forced everyone to the streets at once. The usual approach of pubs closing at different times, and many folk leaving well ahead of closing time would have made much more sense. 

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

this is true, but I think it was mostly irresponsible youngsters, especially when the Universities came back, Freshers Week? but local boozers, on the whole were well managed and people behaved themselves

Just now, geoham said:

Any pubs allowing this type of thing should have been absolutely hammered.

However, the governments need to take some responsibility for the crowded streets. Mandating that all pubs closed at 10, 8 or 6 forced everyone to the streets at once. The usual approach of pubs closing at different times, and many folk leaving well ahead of closing time would have made much more sense. 

Yup. I totally agree. Creating a bottle neck by forcing all the pubs to close at the same time was total lunacy. 

• Like 1