Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nope I'm not and I'm happy for the thread to wander where it will; makes for a more interesting conversation! It's complete bollox to say that the corruption experienced endemically by the whole population of the nuclear armed, space capable, Indian sub continent where my family hails from is driven by outside countries. I wish that the blame could so easily be laid elsewhere!

I appreciate your statement may be true for smaller countries where the leadership is not democratically elected and / or can more easily be bought and you may well have the more relevant personal experience on that score.

And it certainly doesn't account for the €multi-billion annual siphoning of the EU budget.

Feel free to start that thread 😉

Of course that doesn't make you or anyone else using their gear in a band and evaluating in a band context, elitist! Lol - I may even use some of my gear in a couple of bands, some of the time.

It's the mindset that says band use is somehow superior to a "bedroom bassist"'s use of their gear at home and the band is only valid place where gear should be evaluated. We see it all the time when folk say "yeah, yeah...BUT you haven't tried it in mix" as if to imply that their fellow BC'ers opinion is not valid until that hurdle has been jumped.

I think the point is a fairly straightforward one, despite the meal that's being made of it!

I get what you are saying, it was more the generalised broad brush initial statement which was saying developing world countries are corrupt. I am not saying they are not, BUT it’s more than ‘smaller’ nations rulers  being potentially bought, taking bribes, siphoning money. It goes deeper than that.

Why are they behaving that way?

Is it because they are all inherently bad, or is it because of systematic oppression, looting/pillaging of resources systematically over many years from outside developed countries that creates a state of mind leading to corruption, power hunger, internal oppression.

Democratic republic of Congo should probably be one of the richest countries in the world based on its natural resources, it’s also not small as it’s the size of Western Europe - its corruption was/is definitely not internally driven.

And on something being ‘in the mix’ this was clarified on the helix thread that bass guitar is likely to be played with other instruments be it actual or computer/synth generated - it is therefore nearly always in the mix, bedroom or live, even if it’s double/tripled tracked with itself to layer a sound, it’s still a mix

Edited by Cuzzie

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Excellent piece on the development of the Oxford ChAdOx1-nCov19 vaccine.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55041371

It is amazing work. Not only are they making it available on a not for profit basis to developing nations forever, but also to ALL nations (obviously including our own) on a not for profit basis until the pandemic is over.

£3 / dose and normal fridge temperatures as we've mentioned above. This is actually the vaccine that the whole world has been waiting for.

I really do hope the key members of the Oxford / AZ team are jointly awarded the Nobel Prize for their research: it would be entirely fitting.

I know we all too often hate blowing our own trumpet: but bloody well done team GB!!!

• Like 1

I can hear those blo*dy Spitfires again! 

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. There are a number of potential vaccines: American, German / American and Russian as well as the Oxford AZ one. All of these have been brought through in record time at a time of crisis. We don't know at this point which one will be the most effective, although I suspect it will be a combination of all of them. Lets not get caught up in some narrative about a 'plucky nation' saving the world - its not important. The fact there are a number of potential vaccines, all with good prospects, is something to be optimistic about. It is not an excuse to concentrate on one to further a nationalist agenda... 

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup, as I said, some of us clearly find it hard to say "well done" when it's thoroughly deserved!

Missing the point as ever. I am in awe of these guys in lab coats, whether they be British, American or German. 

17 minutes ago, peteb said:

Missing the point as ever. I am in awe of these guys in lab coats, whether they be British, American or German. 

Well if you are in awe then please stop trying to put down other folks' expression of praise as jingoism at every opportunity. What the Oxford / AZ team have just done is amazing.

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

And unless I've missed it, the Beeb fails to mention this on their website too - unbelievable

Yes, you missed it. Effectiveness, cost and practical advantages are covered in other articles too. It looks like fair and balanced factual reporting to me. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MGBrown said:

Yes, you missed it. Effectiveness, cost and practical advantages are covered in other articles too. It looks like fair and balanced factual reporting to me. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

Yup, thanks. It was just in their very first articles where they missed it and were more downbeat as mentioned by a couple of others. I'll go back and update my earlier post as it is clearly now out of date. 

The reason why the world will be particularly excited about the Oxford AZ vaccine and more so than the German and US ones is twofold:

1. PRICE - the Oxford one is a fraction of the cost and is being made available at cost, whereas the others are looking to make substantial profits on theirs. The Oxford vaccine can therefore be much more easily afforded by developing nations. 

2. STORAGE TEMP - is much higher for the Oxford vaccine. Distribution will be much easier to all parts of the globe. 

12 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I know we all too often hate blowing our own trumpet: but bloody well done team GB!!!

12 hours ago, peteb said:

I can hear those blo*dy Spitfires again!

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yup, as I said, some of us clearly find it hard to say "well done" when it's thoroughly deserved!

We do indeed, focusing on just one thing.

Congrats to the British/Swedish astrozenica for funding the devlopment of the vaccine developed by scientists and researchers from many countries in Europe and beyond, using techniques developed around the world. Its amazing how much science you can do when you can remove borders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

judging by the latest tier rules, in which Boris seems to have a real downer on the hospitality industry,  it'll be a while before pubs open properly

Yep looks that way which is a bit crazy. 5 local NW brewers put a report together before lockdown 2. In the period between June, when they re-opened after LD1, and when NW went into Tier3 they had around 8m customers and not 1 reported case of Covid transmission but unless that could operate as a restaurant, they had to shut.

The entertainment industry has the most stringent measures in place and considered one of the safest.

With the amount of revenue the government get from alcohol, it seems nuts.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 1

Just heard that the UK government has procured more vaccines per head of population than any other country on the planet. Wow!

Even if it's only in the Top 10 of countries around the world, on a per capita basis, that would still be very impressive.

No Spitfires in sight, but I just think it's good, for once, to give such foresight and credit where it's due.

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just heard that the UK government has procured more vaccines per head of population than any other country on the planet. Wow!

Even if it's only in the Top 10 of countries around the world, on a per capita basis, that would still be very impressive.

No Spitfires in sight, but I just think it's good, for once, to give such foresight and credit where it's due.

If there's any government that know how to do a backroom, under the table deal, it's the peeps in number 10...

Of course, the twist is that they'll probably sell them on to other countries...

I know, I know. Always a cynic.

Edited by EBS_freak

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats impressive. One of the front benches neighbours / friends / uncle must be making a killing out of that!

Yep. Firstly is it true? So many lies in the last 8 months I simply don't trust this government. And.....how many will get through to those who need it most? Call me a cynic, but point out any aspect of the crisis they have handled even remotely well.

Well I'm very glad I'm a citizen of this country with a free NHS, is all I can say. If you feel most other nations and governments are doing it better with their health systems...some of you really are a miserable, whiny bunch! Lol!

I guess having spent time in the 2/3 poorer part of the world, gives me a clear appreciation of just how fortunate we all are in the UK. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well I'm very glad I'm a citizen of this country with a free NHS, is all I can say. If you feel most other nations and governments are doing it better with their health systems...some of you really are a miserable, whiny bunch! Lol!

I am all for the NHS in a way the government really aren't, and yes, some people are doing it better as they are not ideologically opposed to it.  We have a 'free at the point of delivery' NHS despite the governments best attempts and hope it stays that way although it is being sliced up and sold to private companies, some of that is justified, some isn't, not all of it is in the interest of the NHS.

But yes, we aren't america yet despite them wanting that, because they haven't managed to persuade the public it is in their interest to pay yet (like the rest of our services that have been whittled away) so there are reasons to be cheerful on that front. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am all for the NHS in a way the government really aren't, and yes, some people are doing it better as they are not ideologically opposed to it.  We have a 'free at the point of delivery' NHS despite the governments best attempts and hope it stays that way although it is being sliced up and sold to private companies, some of that is justified, some isn't, not all of it is in the interest of the NHS.

But yes, we aren't america yet despite them wanting that, because they haven't managed to persuade the public it is in their interest to pay yet (like the rest of our services that have been whittled away) so there are reasons to be cheerful on that front. 

Well said Sir. Still cant believe how blind some people are. Yes, we have the wonderful and grossly underfunded NHS, one of our national treasures, but for how much longer? If the Orange one had got another term we would be waving it goodbye very soon, still might.

Edited by mikel
Spelling
  • Confused 1