Why become a member? ×

So I have these midi sockets on some devices ..

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

A lot to look into there . I forgot to mention that the mixer is not usb .

I got it a few years ago , when I was totally clueless and haven't used it . 

I love the line 6 interface though , as it is straightforward . Now deleted unfortunately . If only I knew back then I'd need more sockets .. 

Still , times were hard back then ..

On 18/11/2020 at 18:56, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Not sure how to . I may see if the midi lead I have can go into the mic input of my line 6 interface and try that..

This won't work!!

So, MIDI connections don't actually carry any sound. They just send instructions between devices. For example - if I connect a keyboard to a sound module using MIDI, when I play middle C on the keyboard, it sends a message to the sound module telling it to play a middle C. No sound goes down the cable, just instructions. 

It can be used to allow one piece of equipment to play sounds on another, or to control settings/functions, change patches etc.  You can get MIDI fader controllers that can control the faders in you recording software, or MIDI pads that can play the drum sounds in your sampler. 

It's a language to allow your pieces of equipment to talk to each other. Your USB keyboard is talking MIDI to your computer, but over a USB connection. 

You can't connect MIDI to a mic input, or to anywhere else that sound comes in and out. You can only connect a MIDI port to another MIDI port. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike .

I met up with my local friend for a coffee a couple of days ago. He has loads of keyboards and modern equipment etc . 
The next thing you know, I have listened to his advice and ordered a behriger usb mixer and a few midi leads . I of course asked him to send me links as to what he recommends .

Thomann are sending the above , and I should receive midweek . 

I'll update when I hopefully get my head around it all ...

in the meantime , I'm selling my old unused mixer in the sell other musica items thread ..

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE