Why become a member? ×

Neil Young’s albums ranked. Discuss

Beedster

The track Southern Man caused a real stir back in the day.  If you dont know NY,   youtube the lyrics.

Harvest and  After The Goldrush  were, for me,  the very best.   Didnt get on with much else re. his other solo albums, though his time with  Crosby Stills and Nash was  magic on the the Deja Vu  album

• Like 2

I don’t think you can sustain a career across so many decades and have an influence on such a variety of artists without being counted up there as one of the “greats”. 

He has rarely done anything which could be considered mainstream (whatever that is) and, sure, there are better vocalists, guitarists and lyricists out there, but his career speaks for itself and needs no justification from anyone.

I’ve got a lot of his albums - though by no means all - from across the years but the one I keep going back to is Goldrush. 

I have most of Dylan’s albums up to Blood On The Tracks and rarely listen to them. I listen to NY regularly 

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Arc... #31? Le Noise.. #14? LOL

Nice to see a bit of daylight between Trans and the bottom of the list. I really like that record. 

Old Ways has Misfits on it. For that reason it should be above the likes of Storytone and A Letter Home, etc.

Ha ha, just listening to Trans for the first time and from the first harmonies thought ‘This sounds like Yes’ :)

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Ha ha, just listening to Trans for the first time and from the first harmonies thought ‘This sounds like Yes’ :)

Just wait 'till the next tune 😄

Trans is two halves of two very different albums shoved together. The album artwork nails what the record is about on so many levels...

• Like 1

Just now, wateroftyne said:

Trans is two halves of two very different albums shoved together. The album artwork nails what the record is about on so many levels...

Yep, there now, didn’t see the vocoder coming,  sounds like early Trevor Horn production :)

10 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Yep, I’ve ready Shaky, hell of a read.

I bought Shakey when it was first published in 2002. It's a magisterial book which covers pretty much everything up to that time.

Funny thing, though.

When I read it back in 2002, I thought 'God-like genius'. Read it again last year and thought 'unreliable, disloyal and an insufferable poser'.

Which suggests that I completely missed the subtleties first time round and that unlike most rock biographers the author Mr Jimmy McDonough is capable of writing on at least two levels.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

I got the first time what you got the second. A guy prepared to flip everyone to get what he wants. The trail of damage he left in the late 60s and early 70s was pretty sad. I think the book makes clear how much he believes karma got him, and how :(

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I got the first time what you got the second. A guy prepared to flip everyone to get what he wants. The trail of damage he left in the late 60s and early 70s was pretty sad. I think the book makes clear how much he believes karma got him, and how :(

Really? I've read the book a couple of times and have been a massive Neil Young fan for a long time. He's probably my favourite artist so I may be a bit biased here but I've always found him someone who just has to follow his muse - it's part of who he is and what he is, it's not something you can just turn off like a tap or walk away from like a 9-5 job. Yes a few people have been hurt along the way, but if you hear quite a few of them speak about Neil they've kind of realised that's just how he is and it's nothing personal, it's just his desire to create and move on that keeps powering him forward.

For me I'd have my top 5 as...

5. On the beach
4.  Rust never sleeps
3. After the gold rush
2. Tonight's the night
1. Zuma - have literally played this record hundreds of times

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

Really? I've read the book a couple of times and have been a massive Neil Young fan for a long time. He's probably my favourite artist so I may be a bit biased here but I've always found him someone who just has to follow his muse - it's part of who he is and what he is, it's not something you can just turn off like a tap or walk away from like a 9-5 job. Yes a few people have been hurt along the way, but if you hear quite a few of them speak about Neil they've kind of realised that's just how he is and it's nothing personal, it's just his desire to create and move on that keeps powering him forward.

For me I'd have my top 5 as...

5. On the beach
4.  Rust never sleeps
3. After the gold rush
2. Tonight's the night
1. Zuma - have literally played this record hundreds of times

Still very much a fan, but don’t need musicians to be perfect to like their music. His early trajectory was selfish in the extreme, there’s arguments either way as to how that can be justified, and he’s not alone by any means. For me, having seen him as the archetypal hippy it was interesting to read the book and to see the other side, and from there to see the 60s and 70s in better perspective. 

Love Zuma also :)

• Like 4

On 08/11/2020 at 19:06, Beedster said:

His early trajectory was selfish in the extreme, there’s arguments either way as to how that can be justified, and he’s not alone by any means. 

Are we talking the Squires, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, early solo?

Not trying to be his best mate, but selfish in the extreme sounds a bit harsh when he was a young guy finding his way in a new country, with new music and ideas coming from every angle.

On 08/11/2020 at 19:06, Beedster said:

Love Zuma also :)

It's such an underrated record. Crazy Horse were on top form = sloppy and loose but in the best way. The guitar tones are amazing, the acoustic tracks soothing, Wind Though My Sails is filled with perfect CSNY harmonies and Cortez the Killer is a track for all times.

I find his whole 70's output staggering - there's no artist that comes close to being as prolific in that era than Neil.

7 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Are we talking the Squires, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, early solo?

Not trying to be his best mate, but selfish in the extreme sounds a bit harsh when he was a young guy finding his way in a new country, with new music and ideas coming from every angle.

Stealing from his bandmates and friends to further his career whilst apparently leaving them high and dry meets my definition of selfish in the extreme!

But having said that, I'm going on the account in 'Shakey', and whilst it certainly appears to be a very well researched biography, there's two sides to every story. He's not alone; I've worked with a lot of very successful people, and there's no doubt that the early trajectory of many of them is - even has to be - one of selfishness and of hard decisions. I certainly get the impression from the book that he had a strong sense of destiny at the time - certainly justified by what he went on to achieve - and I'm guessing that would explain a lot of his actions. There's also no doubt from the book that he has a strong sense of karma in relation to a lot of things that have happened in his life, good and bad. 

7 hours ago, Bassybert said:

It's such an underrated record. Crazy Horse were on top form = sloppy and loose but in the best way. The guitar tones are amazing, the acoustic tracks soothing, Wind Though My Sails is filled with perfect CSNY harmonies and Cortez the Killer is a track for all times.

I find his whole 70's output staggering - there's no artist that comes close to being as prolific in that era than Neil.

Yep, I love his habit of using first takes of tracks having told the band they were rehearsing. As you say, sloppy and loose in the best way. Almost the Crazy Horse arhythm section :)

• Like 2

On 08/11/2020 at 17:27, wateroftyne said:

I love his response to criticisms of Trans - paraphrasing: "I wrote this album for my son and I don't give a shirt what anyone thinks of it".

How do you rank albums by someone whose repeated reaction to critical acclaim is to switch genres...

I haven't read the article although I saw it (Listicles are the lowest form of journalism - I wrote one once and it made me feel dirty 🙂 ). I did buy a magazine a couple of years ago that contained contemporary reviews and modern takes on all his albums up to that point.

My view is he's someone who always put the emotional power and connection of his music above anything else.

And when he's cooking with Crazy Horse, it's unstoppable.

• Like 2