Why become a member? ×

Neil Young’s albums ranked. Discuss

Beedster

Nice to see On The Beach and Tonight’s The Night ranked so highly (but then that’s offset by other rankings like Time Fades Away for example), I love those albums and I’m a huge NY fan, but I’m not a fan of judgment lists so have no idea what I’d rank and where - plus that’d change weekly no doubt 😬

4 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Nice to see On The Beach and Tonight’s The Night ranked so highly (but then that’s offset by other rankings like Time Fades Away for example), I love those albums and I’m a huge NY fan, but I’m not a fan of judgment lists so have no idea what I’d rank and where - plus that’d change weekly no doubt 😬

Yep, totally agree re On The Beach.

I think the rankings are for no other reason than to start threads like this :)

9 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

This kind-of lists usually don't include live albums...?

Yeah but most artists' live albums aren't back catalogue re-defining like old Neil's.

Crime in the City on Weld, Transformer Man on Unplugged, When Your Lonely Heart Breaks on YOTH - all completely vitalize tracks that don't quite work on their original LPs. For me anyway... whenever I'm trying to get someone into Neil Young it's always the live albums I point them to.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Canterbury in New South Wales, then..?

Amazingly No, Kent. And Mrs Beedster has hoofed it for the day also, which means me, the kids and the dog are going to be listening to a lot of Neil Young - After the Goldrush up next, then I'm going to explore some of the stuff on the Guardian's upper echelon that I'm not yet familiar with :)

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Sorry, lads, for the participation. I'll best keep my lowly head below the parapet then, eh..? Discuss..? Hmm... ;)

Objective discussion welcome, given the breadth of styles he’s recorded, I defy anyone to say there’s none of his music that they like, or at least appreciate in musical/historic terms. His lyrics in songs like Alabama and Ohio still resonate with current US politics, perhaps less so after yesterday however :) 

There's not much 'objectivity' in discussions of the sort, by the very nature of the subject, I'd say. As for his (NY...) output, I've not gone out of my way to search for much, as what I've come across, from the 'Crosby' days on, has been, at best and with generosity, patchy. A passable acoustic player, modest singing voice and shocking electric guitar, there's not much left save some of the poetry, much of which I find mawkish and trite (subjectively, naturally...). As for the 'live' stuff, it's painful to watch, and more so to hear, more so still to try to listen to. Maybe I've just been unlucky, and seen only the bad video and film work. Maybe.
To be fair, I'm comparing against giants, so it's difficult to maintain credibility in such company. I'll spare you the list. I've nothing against the fellow, personally, and I'm sure he'd not be offended by my remarks; he's definitely not even close to being one of my 'heroes', though; sorry. :|

Edited by Dad3353

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

There's not much 'objectivity' in discussions of the sort, by the very nature of the subject, I'd say. As for his (NY...) output, I've not gone out of my way to search for much, as what I've come across, from the 'Crosby' days on, has been, at best and with generosity, patchy. A passable acoustic player, modest singing voice and shocking electric guitar, there's not much left save some of the poetry, much of which I find mawkish and trite (subjectively, naturally...). As for the 'live' stuff, it's painful to watch, and more so to hear, more so still to try to listen to. Maybe I've just been unlucky, and seen only the bad video and film work. Maybe.
To be fair, I'm comparing against giants, so it's difficult to maintain credibility in such company. I'll spare you the list. I've nothing against the fellow, personally, and I'm sure he'd not be offended by my remarks; he's definitely not even close to being one of my 'heroes', though; sorry. :|

An improvement on 'rank' :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1