Why become a member? ×

Stephane Grapelli.

bubinga5

I saw him play at the Barbican not long before he died.  He was so frail he had to be led onstage, but then he sat down and picked up his violin and was like an 18 year old again.  It was amazing.  One of the most natural musicians ever.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Got his autograph from the Capital Radio Jazz Festival when I was about 14. Great show. Had John Etheridge on guitar (sorry, can't remember who was on bass).

I went to see him with my father in the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury (the original one, not the old Odeon where it is now). This must have been around the same time because Etheridge was on guitar then too. Wonderful evening, with hindsight I wish we'd been able to go to more gigs together.

On the way out after the gig, I decided that we needed to liberate the huge concert poster in the foyer. The old man held it while I pulled out the pins, and as the last one came out 50 other posters from previous events which were underneath all came out in a tidal wave and filled the foyer floor. We ran for it!

If there are any hot club fans in Kent, check out Thomas Abrahams from Ramsgate. He is a sensational guitarist who plays like Django, trio is called Manoir Manouche.

• Like 1

My late Mum loved Stephan, and when he appeared locally ( in the late 1970s I think) my Dad didn’t want to go with her to the gig. She then asked me and I agreed but thought it may be a bit boring. Couldn’t believe how wrong I could be, was an amazing evening and my mum was telling everyone about it for weeks afterwards. This clip has brought back some very happy memories, so thanks for posting.

• Like 2