Why become a member? ×

Gasp

NancyJohnson

Just imagine if she discovered Jazz 😃

Very cool and a phenomenal ear. IIRC George Shearing did something similar (was it the South Bank Show? Can’t remember, lost in the mists of time). Incredible ability that I imagine only piano players could truly express...

On 07/11/2020 at 21:30, FDC484950 said:

Just imagine if she discovered Jazz 😃

Very cool and a phenomenal ear. IIRC George Shearing did something similar (was it the South Bank Show? Can’t remember, lost in the mists of time). Incredible ability that I imagine only piano players could truly express...

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Very good obviously, but can other people not invent melodies on the spot? If so,  I find that a bit baffling tbh. 

Yes, but to play 'em, with improvised variations, on demand from four randomly-chosen notes, is pretty darned good. That the impro and variations resulting be jolly good is even better. She's young, too, for such a feat, I'd say. More power to her elbow. B|

• Like 1

Hm. My previous post generated confusion, so by way of explanation:
As relayed earlier, I've been around hundreds of the best musicians on the planet, and hastily add that I'm not one of them.
As far as I'm aware, none of them could do that at the young age the girl has in the vid.
None. Fewer than one. 
So her ability is silencing, and I guess I worded that badly.

Just for balance, and I can only hope to avoid heavy FLAK for it: she immediately changed the B to a B flat so as to keep this within her boundaries. That is a choice I fully condone, of course, but the notion that she needed to do it also is helpful in evaluating that what she does is not stretch the art of music, but stretch the task so as to fit her boundaries.
Again: it still is impressive to a degree I can't even put to words, but she must be lauded for what she actually does, impressively, not for some imagining in our heads.

@Oldman

Edited by BassTractor