Why become a member? ×

How easy is it to service a CD player yourself?

Brook_fan

Firstly the background: last weekend I was scammed :( I bought a used Technics SLps670d CD player from someone in Bournemouth off Facebook.  Paid by PayPal friends and family.  Silly I know.  Anyway, as he handed me the CD player in a pub car park and sped off I heard a slight rattle as I put the player in the bag I had brought. Got it home and it worked fine for several hours constant playing.  Next morning it started developing an intermittent fault where it would suddenly stop playback after 6 or 7 tracks then show a ‘no disc’ error.  It does this all the time now

Messaging the bloke he was pretty  obnoxious saying I must have knocked it and refusing any responsibility.  I opened up the unit to find a tiny piece of plastic floating around.  Also when having a closer look at the drive mechanism the spindle on which the cd sits looks pretty ropy and distorted.  The CD also wobbles as it spins.  Tried a cd lens cleaner, no joy. 

So,  have looked into how much a new lens and transport mechanism is.  About £30 to £40 on eBay.  Not too bad, but am I throwing good money after bad?  How easy it is to replace anyway?  Tbh I’m thinking of just writing it off or selling it on eBay for parts- there is a couple of nice pioneer CD players on eBay that interest me for around the £30 to £40 mark anyway.

Robbie

I recently fixed the CD player I keep at work which had similar problems by taking the disc holder out of a personal player I found in the shed by levering it off and putting that on the spindle until the spindle was level with the disc holder. One of the three legs that hold the disc had broken off on the old one. So far so good up until being locked down again!