waylander

cleaning hardcase lining to get out smell?

Hey All

Recently managed to get hold of my dream bass (MiM fenderJazz) and the guy I bought it off threw in a nice hard case with this felt/faux fur lining.

The lining smells really musty, to the point the guitar and strap come out smelling musty after a couple hours in it. no shade to the seller it’s in great condition, just musty.

ive had it airing out for a couple weeks but hasn’t done anything for it, so I want to clean it up and get it smelling a bit fresher.

Any advice on what to use to get the smell out and not damage the lining? 

46E5DDFD-927A-48CD-B0F7-AE5FEEC099BF.jpeg

I’ve just asked miss RB and she suggested, a lint clothes roller first to get anything like hairs and debris etc off , then a mix of comfort and water and spray it and let it dry, I wouldn’t use fabreeze as it has chemicals in it, this is just a suggestion 🙂

• Thanks 1

Have the same issue with one of my cases. Used some Febreeze which worked for a few weeks, but it's gone back to being somewhat smelly.

The case does have some damage to it, so I'm going to replace it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve just asked miss RB and she suggested, a lint clothes roller first to get anything like hairs and debris etc off , then a mix of comfort and water and spray it and let it dry, I wouldn’t use fabreeze as it has chemicals in it, this is just a suggestion 🙂

Thanks that’s great help! I’ve got a lint roller and I’ll grab some comfort later on 🙂

Yea you gotta be careful with you put on different fabrics. I used to be a bit more just trial and error but I fence in my spare time and my coaches lost their mind when I told them I’d used Vanish on my kit to get marks out. Apparently that sort of fabric is really sensitive to it and starts to degrade 😅

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Have the same issue with one of my cases. Used some Febreeze which worked for a few weeks, but it's gone back to being somewhat smelly.

The case does have some damage to it, so I'm going to replace it.

Thanks 🙂 I’m going to have a go at Mrs RB’s suggestion. If you like I’ll let you know how it goes so you could have a go if you’re not in a rush to replace?

• Like 1

I’ve found poly finishes to be quite resilient, it’s nitro finishes you have to be careful with, I had patches appear on one of my nitro jazzes and I don’t know where they came from, it could have been something in one of my cases or off something on my clothing 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve found poly finishes to be quite resilient, it’s nitro finishes you have to be careful with, I had patches appear on one of my nitro jazzes and I don’t know where they came from, it could have been something in one of my cases or off something on my clothing 

Yea I didn’t think of that until the other day, just assumed the coat on the bass would stop any discolouration . But I bought a Hercules stand for the bass and was reading the disclaimer about how the rubber padding was designed to reduce discolouration but there was still a chance 😯

• Like 1

6 hours ago, waylander said:

Thanks 🙂 I’m going to have a go at Mrs RB’s suggestion. If you like I’ll let you know how it goes so you could have a go if you’re not in a rush to replace?

Already done, she's always at a loss as to what to get me for Christmas, told which one I wanted. ;) :D 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

If it is DRY... not damp with fabreeze...

A shake of Bicarb then hoover out...

That is what I was going to suggest - leave it in for a while, though.  I managed to deodorise a pair of my old slippers with good old bicarb.

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere that UV is the best thing to kill the bacteria/smell. Leaving it out in string sunlight (yeah right!) or maybe borrow a tanning bed 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/11/2020 at 11:09, waylander said:

Thanks that’s great help! I’ve got a lint roller and I’ll grab some comfort later on 🙂

Yea you gotta be careful with you put on different fabrics. I used to be a bit more just trial and error but I fence in my spare time.............

You knocking out any nice pieces of Tom for Xmas, guv’nor ??

• Haha 1

As @ped says UV works well but I found that Dettol All-in-One spray works pretty well. It'll need a few sprays. Just leave it open in a spare room for a few days and give it a thorough spraying two or three times a day.

image1.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought a Gibson J45 a while ago that came in a lovely deep Gibson case. The previous owner must have smoked 80 a day as both the guitar and case were (and still are) reeking of cigarettes. The guitar (now known as "Smokey": I thought "lung cancer" or "COPD"  wasn't quite as catchy) is getting there slowly but the case has been relegated to the garage.

I've tried leaving it open out in the fresh air, Febreze etc. but as yet it's still honking so I'll watch this thread with interest...

• Like 1

Aaahhh! The good old days of gigging in smokey Working Men’s clubs. I don’t smoke but my sax case still honked horribly... in fact, the sax used to honk (both literally and metaphorically) despite being mostly made of brass.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Worth another mention for baking powder.  I acquired an upholstered 60s chair that absolutely reeked of that special 'charity shop blend' of aromas.  Flushed with the success of deodorising my old slippers the chair was treated to a sprinkling of baking powder, brushed in, left for a day, vacuumed off.  Had to do it 3 times but it has worked. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Paul S said:

Worth another mention for baking powder.  I acquired an upholstered 60s chair that absolutely reeked of that special 'charity shop blend' of aromas.  Flushed with the success of deodorising my old slippers the chair was treated to a sprinkling of baking powder, brushed in, left for a day, vacuumed off.  Had to do it 3 times but it has worked. 

You’ve hit the nail on the head. So I tried to get some comfort as RB suggested but couldn’t find any the local shop, seems locals prefer persil! 

I saw I post on another forum about using baking powder.

first I tried leaving it on a tray in the case closed. It got the smell out in the general area but not overall.

So I changed tactics and sprinkled a couple boxes directly onto the lining, then left the case open with it on for a day. 

it’s taken three rounds with the Hoover to get the bits out but the smells totally gone 😅

Edited by waylander
  • Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.