Why become a member? ×

Lakland Hollowbody - shielding issue?

dmckee

I’ve just picked up this lovely Lakland Hollowbody secondhand. Really nice bass - great neck, very comfortable, perfectly balanced etc BUT it seems to have a shielding issue. Quite a lot of hum, that goes away when I touch the strings or the bridge. Happens whether the volumes are up or down. That’s shielding rather than grounding or single coil pickup hum, yes? 

Opening up the back, I can see it’s completely hollow in there. No control cavity as such, and no sign at all of any shielding paint or copper tape etc. Just bare wood. Anyone any suggestions for what I can do here to improve this?  I do want to get it rewired to master volume/blend, so it’ll be going in for that anyway. 

Cheers!

1F183386-B69A-4614-BEE1-EB8ABCF662F8.jpeg

I'm not convinced that trying to create a Faraday cage in a hollowbody is worth the effort but ensuring that all the connecting wires in the loom are shielded might be (and no quicker/easier way than contacting @KiOgon  :) )

But - it might well be the pickups if they are single coils although I think I would have expected the buzz to have changed at least a bit when you turned down the volumes or flicked the pickup selector.

Lovely bass, by the way.  Got to be worth a new loom whatever  ;)

• Thanks 1