Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a good bass book.

Maude

26 minutes ago, csmallett said:

I get why you'd think that. Victor Wooten impresses me, but I couldn't name a song he's played on. It's a fictional story, with music lessons peppered in it. Essentially just creative ideas to try when writing. 

Hmm, I think you've just made it worse. 😁

• Haha 1

If you haven't already got it, I would get the Guy Pratt book. Genuinely laugh out loud funny with some great stories. If ever I'm feeling a little bit down or p*ssed off, I just re-read the section on Guy playing with the Womacks. Great stuff... 

• Like 2

I am shameless, but there you go.

I have some books for sale here

In this context the Bass Line The Stories and Photographs of Milt Hinton book is superb. Early Jazz stories from one of the originals and some superb photos from the inside.

My Mrs got me Guitar Family Trees from one of those cheap book remainder type shops a few years back. It's absolutely excellent and only cost a couple of quid. So if you're like me and you check ebay daily for guitars and basses that are a bit less mainstream then this book takes you through the models and the company history. Good glossy photos too and it covers brands like Hayman and so on, so it's not all Fender and Gibson. A good cheap option of you can find it, and a feel good present to give because its massive and heavy and therefore seems expensive! 

On 08/11/2020 at 07:10, uk_lefty said:

My Mrs got me Guitar Family Trees from one of those cheap book remainder type shops a few years back. It's absolutely excellent and only cost a couple of quid. So if you're like me and you check ebay daily for guitars and basses that are a bit less mainstream then this book takes you through the models and the company history. Good glossy photos too and it covers brands like Hayman and so on, so it's not all Fender and Gibson. A good cheap option of you can find it, and a feel good present to give because its massive and heavy and therefore seems expensive! 

That also looks good but appears to be about £20 from 'normal' booksellers. I like the bargains you can find in those cheapy book shops. 

I've actual ordered, or other people have, Alfie Noakes' book, Guy Pratts 'My Bass & Other Animals', and Soulsville USA the story of Stax Records. 

The one @Dad3353linked to is looking like it'll wait until my birthday in Feb, as the "we don't know what to get you" will be repeated.

Thanks all 🙂👍

• Like 3

I'd recommend the book "The Big Midweek" by Steve Hanley... bass player and longest serving (18 years) member of the Fall, who in general had a massive turnover of members. It's basically an biography (he has a co-writer) of hi time in The Fall.

Fall singer Mark E Smith is an ahem 'interesting' character to work with and is well worth a read.