Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a good bass book.

Maude

Evenin' all. 

My in laws don't know what to get me for Christmas, last years arsenic didn't work, and I thought a book would be nice. 

Now before we get all anti Christmas I've said I don't need, or want, anything but they're insisting and I'm being made out to be the misery. I hate asking for something as a present, but there you go. 

Anyway what good bass books are out there? I don't mean a 'learn to play' book, or any kind of maintenance manual, but rather 'a history of' type of thing, or anything else you can think of. Something that they can order so they don't need to go out and get it would be good. Not too expensive either as I'm not taking the pee, about £20 would be nice. 

So waddya got? 

🙂

@Bassman68 I was going to say not a bio as the music genre usually needs to be appreciated, but someone like Guy Pratt would be good as he's played with such a variety. I've just read Kenny Jones bio which was good as he's also played with everyone.

@itu Good shout, being in a Mod/Northern soul/Ska band, Motown is a big influence.

@Dad3353 You've used the G word 😁, but that looks good. 

Knowing me I'll end up buying a load myself and having a backlog of books to read. I've only just caught up with the last backlog over the previous furlough. 

🙂

14 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Don't be fooled, and Mo is a top-of-the-line bass player to boot. S'not about guitars. A great read. ;)

🙂👍

I think we have an early leader. 

Edited by Maude

Following the 'Standing in the shadows....' suggestion I thought, I wonder if there's a Stax book, as I've always been more Stax than Motown, dare I say they had more funk than The Funk Brothers. I found 'Soulsville USA. The story of Stax records', which gets very good reviews, in case anyone else is looking for similar. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0825672848/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WkCPFb1D27VEE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

I know a few members have written books so I'm going to look them up as well. It's always nice to help out a fellow member. 

Now there, you're spoiled for choice. I've half a dozen from several BC members (in fact, every one I've seen announced..!), with never a deception, and many a Good Read. A 'No-Brainer'. :friends:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Maude said:

Following the 'Standing in the shadows....' suggestion I thought, I wonder if there's a Stax book, as I've always been more Stax than Motown, dare I say they had more funk than The Funk Brothers. I found 'Soulsville USA. The story of Stax records', which gets very good reviews, in case anyone else is looking for similar. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0825672848/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WkCPFb1D27VEE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Try 'Soul Fingers - The Music & Life of Legendary Bassist Donald "Duck" Dunn' by Nick Rosaci

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soul-Fingers-Legendary-Bassist-Donald-ebook/dp/B073Z2XVPR

• Like 2

The Fender Bass: An Illustrated History is a good book if you're in to Fenders.

The Bass Book is a good history book.

Bass Player Magazine did a load of good books a few years ago- The Bass Player Book, How The Fender Bass Changed The World, American Basses, The Jazz Bass Book, Session Bass Masters, and a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

There is a book called In Cold Sweat: Interviews with Really Scary Musicians, which is extended and unedited interviews with Gene Simmons, Jerry Casale, Peter Hook, and Scott Thunes, that were originally in Bass Player Magazine. That's a fun read. 

• Like 2

I've got Alfie Noakes' book on the way. 

@such, is the Geddy book very 'Rushy'? I can't stand Rush so don't want to read all about them. His bass collection part sounds very interesting but I wouldn't want some Rush anecdote every other paragraph whilst reading it.

@Doddy, the Fender one was on my radar but I'll check out the others.

I've probably got enough to choose from now but it would be good to hear about anything else folks have enjoyed as I'm sure there will be others here looking for book recommendations. 

Thanks all 🙂👍

14 hours ago, Bassman68 said:

My favourite that i read over the first lock-down was Guy Pratts ‘My bass & other animals’ ..

Highly recommended 

More anecdotal than anything but a good read all the same?

13 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Beyond the Bass Clef - Tony Levin (of course I'm gonna mention T.L.)

Both of the above are top reads IMO. Getting hold of a copy of TL’s book may prove tricky and possibly expensive.

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Getting hold of a copy of TL’s book may prove tricky and possibly expensive.

I typed out a reply to @StickyDBRmfbut must've deleted it by mistake.

Yes, the TL book is ludicrously expensive. I suggested that if Sticky had read his copy he might consider selling as they're going for between £80 and £120. 😳

The Geddy one is dear enough but it seems to be more of a coffee table book, which makes the kindle version for about three quid less seem completely pointless, not that I want a kindle version. 

19 hours ago, such said:

Geddy Lee's "Big Book of Bass" or whatever the full title is, appears at more affordable prices occasionally (compared to when it came out), and is beautiful. I requested a copy for Xmas. 

+1 on this.  Bought it a while back and it's  lush.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I suggest this too.  I'm only halfway through but it's proving to be a very nice surprise. 

From the reviews, I'm not sold on it. It sounds a bit too 'spiritual journey' for me, and another bassist I'm no fan of. 

But glad you're enjoying it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

From the reviews, I'm not sold on it. It sounds a bit too 'spiritual journey' for me, and another bassist I'm no fan of. 

But glad you're enjoying it. 🙂

I get why you'd think that. Victor Wooten impresses me, but I couldn't name a song he's played on. It's a fictional story, with music lessons peppered in it. Essentially just creative ideas to try when writing.