Why become a member? ×

Fave vocalists who aren't much cop at singing

Barking Spiders

Although a can totally appreciate a technically proficient singer, all my favourite bands have singers that would be kicked off The X Factor as soon as possible. It's the imperfections that give the voice character I feel. I'd much rather hear a technically poor vocalist who sang with passion from the heart than a perfect one just going through the motions. Obviously there are very good vocalists that also sing with feeling. 

Case in point Joy Division/New Order. 

Neither Ian Curtis nor Bernard Sumner were good singers, hell the whole band were terrible musicians, the one with the most talent, Steven Morris wasn't proficient, just had relentless stamina on the hi-hat, yet they're probably my favourite band. Give them a 'good' vocalist and I probably wouldn't like them. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

David Lee Roth live.

Yep, DLR couldn't sing as well as Hagar yet VH largely turned to shyte when he was kicked out. As with guitar and bass, for me an interesting/unique/recognisable approach to vocalising is way more preferable to those that are note perfect but who sound identical to loads of others.

Fr'instance I like Karl Hyde's semi-spoken delivery on Underworld tunage and John Lydon's on Leftfield's Open Up is perfect for the song. Then there's Kevin Coyne of The Flaming Lips as on the truly great Do You Realize?. Funny how all of the winners of X Factor have disappeared into oblivion after one or two hits.