Why become a member? ×

NBD! MTD Kingston Artist 5

BassApprentice

So I originally was on the lookout for 5 string at a slightly higher price point but a couple of bills later I had slightly less GAS money and saw this in the classifieds and couldn't resist. Not too much info about these, seems they were discontinued and come up from time to time. I've tried the Super5 at BassDirect and loved it and this has all the basic build features with just less pickups and less fancy EQ. I'm pretty happy with it so far, 19mm spacing and 35" scale won't be for everyone but the wide, asymmetric neck feels great to me and it comes in just under 4kg so good weight too.

This one has had a 2 band John East preamp from a Zoot put in which is very bright and maybe not quite versatile enough for me, although I have been playing with Tapewounds so maybe when I can get a set of tapes on this it will mellow it out. Reckon either the preamp or pickup will be changed too if this stays around long enough. I'll definitely be putting in a series/parallel/coil tap switch though. Enjoying having a 5 string again!

PXL_20201104_091224263.jpg

PXL_20201104_091218330.jpg

PXL_20201104_091201946.jpg

PXL_20201104_091157029.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...