Why become a member? ×

Anyone with experience/opinion on Markbass Kimandu or Kilimanjaro basses?

CookPassBabtridge

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has played, or has an opinion on, the new(ish) basses that Markbass have released - specifically the Kimandu and Kilimanjaro? 

There are a few YouTube demo vids and one review online from what I could see. I have to say they sound great from what I’ve heard, though the body shape is, shall I say, an acquired taste! 

There don’t seem to be any UK retailers selling them as yet so it’s not easy to get my hands on one to try out, am therefore interested in any opinions! I am optimistic about the Richard Bona link though - presuming that something with his ‘mark’ on it (pun intended) should be good.

Thanks. 

Thanks BassApprentice, I think I’ll drop Bass Direct a line as it looks like they did actually stock a few MarkBass instruments earlier in the year. I’ll see if they’ve got any more orders in the pipeline. Be interesting to know lead-in times, hopefully it wouldn’t be too long being ‘off the shelf’ as you say. 

Tried one about a year ago at a guitar fair in London. To be very honest it's clear that the concept has moved on a lot since then and it needed to! If I didn't know better I would have said the idea was to gain as big a profit as possible for as little an outlay as possible. In the photos I've seen lately the basses have clearly had much more development with better woods and finishes and probably components too. However, after my first experience, I have no desire to try them again. Just my opinion.

P.S. just remembered I saw Richard Bona playing one last year at the Jazz Cafe. His sounded and looked good but, to me, it didn't sing as well as his Fodera. That said, Bona can make anything sound great.

Edited by TrevorG
  • Like 1

Thanks TrevorG. Yeah the current spec on the Kimandu looks pretty decent, same preamp as the Kilimanjaro and they seem to be saying they are similar instruments with the former being the less 'blingy' version (no exotic top wood, hipshot hardware etc.). I would hope that for something made in Italy and costing north of £1k they are now of a good standard, just a shame there isn't a huge amount of info out there. As we've said, the RB association should imply decent quality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Thanks Trevor, that sounds great! Gabriel is awesome, there’s another vid of him with the Kilimanjaro that sounds just as good (IMO) here.

Ooooh! Much prefer the sound here! Sounds like my Ultra PJ(I happen to own the sexiest bass I've ever played). What do you think of the finish? Doesn't look like a top wood to me but not sure.

1 hour ago, TrevorG said:

Ooooh! Much prefer the sound here! Sounds like my Ultra PJ(I happen to own the sexiest bass I've ever played). What do you think of the finish? Doesn't look like a top wood to me but not sure.

It’s a great tone isn’t it. I like the style of the finish - yellow doesn’t suit me(!) but some of the other colours are pretty cool. Yeah I think it’s straight onto the swamp ash but I could be wrong. There is natural flame maple top option though that looks awesome.

• Like 1