Why become a member? ×

Preamps with a line level output

Jakester

So, I have been experimenting with very mixed success.

I have a knackered Markbass combo on which it seems the power stage is fecked. I decided to try and go with a power amp and preamp setup, but unfortunately the preamp I have simply doesn’t deliver enough signal to use the power amp effectively.

My current setup is a Providence Bass Station preamp into a drive pedal and multi effects pedal,  and then a MB Super Booster (to get the MB VLE sound and provide a DI out). If I crank the Super Booster right up it increases the level out but I’m still not getting enough welly to properly drive the power amp.

I can still use the MB preamp but that leaves me faffing around with two amps and the pedalboard, which is a pain.

Does anyone know of a cleanish preamp pedal that outputs line level? I know the Sansamp does but I’ve never got on with the Sansamp sound. I love the Providence - clean with bags of headroom and offers two channels and a mute - perfect for my setup.

Alternatively is there an easy way to up the level after the last pedal? 

sfxsound mD3 has 2 balanced outputs that drive both my power amps easily :) (red/white preamp in photo)

I believe the Mesa Subway preamp outputs line level .. 

most pedals don’t .. it’s taken me awhile to find the right setup lol

0782B96F-0C52-47F7-88FA-233D548F8E1C.jpeg

TrickFish Trilobite preamp (double preamp with volume controlled Line out only).

MarkBass Stereo Ground Pre (double preamp with volume controlled D.I. and Line out).

Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass (single preamp with volume controlled D.I. and Line out).

All 3 are transparent when flat.

• Like 1

What make is the power amp?  Sometimes they have switchable sensitivity.  Or instead of buying more bits and bobs to cobble something workable together, could you sell the half-working MB combo and power amp and get something like an RCF powered speaker. It will take mic or line level, very powerful for the size, and the power amp is matched to and optimized for the speaker.

Hmm, looks like it's indicating a different preamp then. Annoying because the Providence is perfect - I use an active and a passive bass or an EUB, so it lets me deal with the differing levels etc really well. 

38 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

could you sell the half-working MB combo and power amp and get something like an RCF powered speaker. It will take mic or line level, very powerful for the size, and the power amp is matched to and optimized for the speaker.

Yep, I could, but I have the matching extension cab too. I have a couple of powered speakers for PA (admitted not to RCF standards) so they'll do in a worst-case pinch. 

I have to say after all this I'm leaning towards just stumping up the no doubt huge £££ to have the combo repaired! 😂

I was using a powered Bergantino IP112 for quite a while so went on similar searches.

The best results I had for driving a power amp, were

EBS Microbass 2- had plenty gain, A/B channels an FX loop very clean sounding with a drive section if you want it. Headphone amp too.

3 leaf Enabler- if you can find one tons of gain on tap.easily drives a power amp. Clean but warm sound a d a fantastic headphone amp. I still have this for DI/practice.

AVOID the Tonebone bassbone! This was advertised by a leading bass retailer as the best thing together the Bergantino,So I bought one. The thing barely goes over unity gain.

• Like 1

You could put a Mooer micro DI after the last pedal. It has a +20db mode, i.e. boosting your signal from instrument level to line level. The output would be via XLR so you could take advantage of your power amp's balanced input (assuming it has one).