Why become a member? ×

Self-employment grant - who's entitled to it?

sPiKi

With the chancellor announcing support for the self employed, can anyone explain clearly who is/may be entitled to it?

I run a covers/function band as a small business with my brother and we complete a self-assessment return every year and have done so since we started gigging several years ago.

The loss of earnings to us due to COVID 19 has been considerable (tbh I try not to think about it). Since March we have had cancellations for at least forty weddings and corporate functions and about the same in pub gigs.

Music is a second source of income for me. My main employment is in education where I am employed full time. What I can't determine is if that cancels me out completely from getting any government support.

Can anyone explain clearly if I might be entitled to any govt support at this time?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sPiKi

You won’t be eligible if it’s not your primary income source.

It’s easy to check, but you’re classed as a PAYE worker to the Treasury. I won’t comment on the morality of applying for the grant, but you have to earn over 50% of your income as self-employed to be eligible.

You need to be registered as self-employed, and have submitted five years worth of accounts. The grant is based on an average profit over those five years. I’m quite relieved that they’ve announced that it’s going to be 80%; hopefully until the end of March. The third grant that’s coming due was originally destined to be just 20%.

Edited by Basinski
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, sPiKi said:

Thanks for the response Burns-bass. That is clear to follow.

Have you investigated this yourself?

I run a Ltd company which pays most of my wages. I also have some self employed income, all of which I disclose. Hoped it may be enough as the Ltd company stuff is slow but it wasn’t!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Fortunately as I’m fully self employed as a musician, I qualify and have for the previous two grants. 
ive lost Count of the gigs I’ve lost this year, as well as the teaching side of things ( Peri work in school) , so it is very welcome in our household. 

I’ve lost a university teaching job because of it, most of my private teaching - I teach at home - plus many regular gigs. I was so relieved when a drummer friend sent me a text to say they were increasing it to 80%. I was worried that I’d end up having to retrain for a job in cyber.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Basinski said:

I’ve lost a university teaching job because of it, most of my private teaching - I teach at home - plus many regular gigs. I was so relieved when a drummer friend sent me a text to say they were increasing it to 80%. I was worried that I’d end up having to retrain for a job in cyber.

It’s certainly a massive relief- having to survive on 20% of income for a 3 month period was incredibly stressful. My wife likened it to having a noose around the neck, not knowing when it would tighten. 

• Like 1