Why become a member? ×

Just ordered my first Overwater

bassmansam

Today I ordered my very first Overwater Bass. I've never played one but after extensive research I don't think I'll be disappointed. 

I had a good lengthy chat with the owner Chris and went through my requirements - super nice guy and very knowledgeable. 

I went for the standard J5 contemporary model - 35' ccale with swamp ash body (satin finish) rosewood fretboard, overwater electronics & pups. 

Now for the hard part... Deciding on colour! I'm torn between sunburst & toitoise pickguard or red wine burst with black pickguard. Perhaps black hardware 🤔

I'd really like to hear from any other Overwater players out there..Particularly the J's!  Show me what you got 👊

Edited by bassmansam

I’m on my second. My first was an early J5 in white with tort, don’t have a photo of that anymore though. Astonishing B string but didn’t get on with 35” scale having only had 34” before. It had Kent Armstrong pups, a John east pre and all hip shot hardware.

My current is a J4 fretless with the passive buffer and Overwater pups. The only thing I don’t really like is the Overwater bridge. It’s not as easy to change strings on as a hip shot B style. 

With Overwater you have the opportunity for something you can’t get with Fender and they’ll do any colour scheme. Also if you can it’s not that much more for fancy woods and they have a great selection. 

C0C59502-4DB3-451B-9EF4-F509A0BAB801.jpeg

• Like 1

Go for a burl top! 

Buckeye Burl can look absolutely astonishing, of Amboyna Burl, Thuya Burl, Maple Burl, all good choices! 

You're getting a boutique bass made, get a boutique top! Anyone can buy a Sunburst or Red bass off the shelf, why not get something no one else has? 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Go for a burl top! 

Buckeye Burl can look absolutely astonishing, of Amboyna Burl, Thuya Burl, Maple Burl, all good choices! 

You're getting a boutique bass made, get a boutique top! Anyone can buy a Sunburst or Red bass off the shelf, why not get something no one else has? 

Exactly, I think it was £200 extra for that flame top. Not a lot really considering basic price was £2.5k

• Like 1

For me, a good top REALLY makes the bass truly unique and yours. Woods such as these are like finger prints and snow flakes... pretty much no two are the same! 

These are a few of the tops on some of my basses/guitars. You can easily get lost in the figuring of the woods.

20200713_133555.thumb.jpg.620cbab140c78cffa827b7a75e98d57f.jpg

20200713_180338.thumb.jpg.da27c392c5034f1e673db3ee818b47b4.jpg

20200713_175932.thumb.jpg.f1542322bce93c0abad430a5ded98bdb.jpg

20200713_181536.thumb.jpg.2f1e07f09a61db450ecaaec53f2a6943.jpg

• Like 3

IMO you won't be disappointed. I'm jealous, I have played several and they are all top quality with a stunning tone.

The reasons I don't own one right now - all the used basses I've seen have been too heavy, ie up in the 10, 11, 12lbs area, and sadly I can't afford a new one!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, binky_bass said:

For me, a good top REALLY makes the bass truly unique and yours. Woods such as these are like finger prints and snow flakes... pretty much no two are the same! 

These are a few of the tops on some of my basses/guitars. You can easily get lost in the figuring of the woods.

20200713_133555.thumb.jpg.620cbab140c78cffa827b7a75e98d57f.jpg

20200713_180338.thumb.jpg.da27c392c5034f1e673db3ee818b47b4.jpg

20200713_175932.thumb.jpg.f1542322bce93c0abad430a5ded98bdb.jpg

20200713_181536.thumb.jpg.2f1e07f09a61db450ecaaec53f2a6943.jpg

Those tops looks very tempting. 🤤

T

3 hours ago, 4000 said:

Yes, the weight thing can be an issue (most of the ones I’ve played - lots! - have been very heavy), so if weight is an issue for you make sure you’ve specified that. 

Ive got a very heavy Warwick and prefer a bit of weight so all good I think. Thanks for the heads up though 🙃

Sold mine...twice actually...bought it back when it was advertised here by the fella I sold it to. Far too precious with it TBH - played fantastic (as do all the others Chris and Co put together). Even though they get lots of praise I still think they're under-rated.

I think I still have a Hiscox embossed case somewhere....

• Like 1

Finish.. natural wood. They can take you from plain as you like to as fancy as you can imagine!

The folks at Overwater Towers do very nice things with bits of wood, and with or without extra deluxe glitzy bits the beauty remains for all time.