Why become a member? ×

Singers with strong accents

Mykesbass

7 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

It does raise the question of country music in this thread though. One could suggest that it is a genre which demands an 'authentic' accent to such a degree that everyone puts one on! There is certainly a way to sing country, although the country scene has long been made up of people from across the US, and beyond.

I grew up with Irish Country music sometimes known as Country and Western.  Some of the artists lean heavily on the US accent.  Ugh!

It's an interesting one though.  The US accent owes a lot to the Irish.

Shane McGowan.

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have to admit I hate most songs with singers singing in their regional accents. It just annoys me most of the time.

I'm the opposite, I enjoy the authenticity.

One of the reasons I can't stand The Magic Numbers is their over the top fake American accents.

On a pedantic note , all singers have strong, or at least identifiable,  accents, in the same way that all speakers have accents. Received  Pronunciation is an accent .

The  anomaly is that when we talk about  strong accents what we usually  mean is strong  regional accent, but accents are by no means necessarily regional. Fake mid-Atlantic Rock and Roll is  also an accent in itself, despite the fact it exists only in the world of rock. All singers are offering you a rendition of their accent, be it Sophie Ellis- Bextor and her over-emphasised diction, or John Martyn with his inebriated drawl.  

Can't beat a bit of Jon Anderson, though. Cosmic lyrics with a  thick Lancashire  accent:

6 minutes ago, Misdee said:

On a pedantic note , all singers have strong, or at least identifiable,  accents, in the same way that all speakers have accents. Received  Pronunciation is an accent .

The  anomaly is that when we talk about  strong accents what we usually  mean is strong  regional accent, but accents are by no means necessarily regional. Fake mid-Atlantic Rock and Roll is  also an accent in itself, despite the fact it exists only in the world of rock. All singers are offering you a rendition of their accent, be it Sophie Ellis- Bextor and her over-emphasised diction, or John Martyn with his inebriated drawl.  

Can't beat a bit of Jon Anderson, though. Cosmic lyrics with a  thick Lancashire  accent:

'Pedantry is something up with which I will not put.' That and Jon blooming Anderson :ph34r: (First bit Churchill, second bit me, having had a run in with the annoying twerp).

Great call on both Sophie Ellis Bextor and John Martyn. Two fabulous voices.

On 06/11/2020 at 17:08, SpondonBassed said:

I grew up with Irish Country music sometimes known as Country and Western.  Some of the artists lean heavily on the US accent.  Ugh!

It's an interesting one though.  The US accent owes a lot to the Irish.

Shane McGowan.

Aye a bit like trad folk music. It seems a nasal West country accent is the thing. I remember a folk busker in Hexham who I knew through a friend. Heard him singing in the street and I thought "Hang on, he had a softly spoken Geordie accent in the pub last night".

• Like 1

On 05/11/2020 at 20:35, PaulWarning said:

When I'm singing I try really hard not to slip into a mid Atlantic accent, hate myself when I do

I feel your pain.... I try not to do it in most songs.

For example there is one song I recorded (aiming for own accent) and I accidentally sing one word with a mid-Atlantic "T".  to make it worse somehow, the song in question has that line repeated as the next line, and in that I do my own pronunciation of "T". I didn't notice until after the track was fully mixed down etc.

I still cringe a bit every time I hear it 😖.