Why become a member? ×

Singers with strong accents

Mykesbass

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Mark of Booze & Glory’s Polish accent is quite strong on some of their songs.

Lozz, that reminds me, Mariusz Duda from Polish modern prog rockers Riverside sings in English with a distinctive lilt that works very well 👍🤘👍

Edited by sykilz

14 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Glasvegas, sing in a strong Glasgow accent. Forget your dad he's gone becomes forgit yer da he's gone. 

Glasvegas first sprang to my mind too, one of the strongest accents from the UK I've heard on record. I've been listening to quite a bit of Ultravox recently and realised what an influence they must surely have been to Glasvegas. 

Niall O'Flaherty from Sultans of Ping FC sings with a strong accent but I can't place it. He's from Cork but there's some strong Liverpudlian and Mancunian in there.

Toy Dolls also aren't afraid to let their accents shine. 

The problem with singing in your regional accent is it seems to scupper your chances of succeeding in the US and other countries as listeners there will probably not understand what's being sung. Brits singing in strong London, Brummie, Scouse, Yorkshire, Welsh, Scots and Geordie accents hardly ever make it outside the UK. So I understand the need to sing in a mid-Atlantic, faux American voice. Off the top of my noggin I cant think of any Brit act  successful outside the UK where the vocalists have sung in a regional accent. Certainly not The Beatles. There's little sign of scouse in their vocals.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

The problem with singing in your regional accent is it seems to scupper your chances of succeeding in the US and other countries as listeners there will probably not understand what's being sung. Brits singing in strong London, Brummie, Scouse, Yorkshire, Welsh, Scots and Geordie accents hardly ever make it outside the UK. So I understand the need to sing in a mid-Atlantic, faux American voice. Off the top of my noggin I cant think of any Brit act  successful outside the UK where the vocalists have sung in a regional accent. Certainly not The Beatles. There's little sign of scouse in their vocals.

Good point.

The Proclaimers got to number 3 in the US singles chart with (I’m gonna be ) 500 Miles, although I’ve no idea what they made of some of the lyrics. Also some of the Liverpool bands from the 60’s who sang with local accents did okay over there I think, maybe on the back of The Beatles success? Gerry and the Pacemakers spring to mind with ‘Ferry cross the Mersey’.

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

As we’ve already had my favourites (Guy Garvey, Jarvis Cocker, Bill Bragg etc...) I’ll give a tip of the hat to Freddie Mercury’s upper class British accent that poked out every now and then.

less favourable mentions go to Joe Elliott of Def Leppard and Milli Vanilli.