Why become a member? ×

Singers with strong accents

Mykesbass

Heard DC Fontaines on the radio today, and it struck me that I have a real soft spot for singers with strong accents. Cerys Matthews' delivery of Road Rage, and Terry Hall on Fun Boy Three's Thinking Of You are two particular favourites.

Anyone got any other great examples?

Isn't it strange though when a singer has a strong accent talking, but not singing???? ( Looking at you, Adele....)😆😆

I can't think of a good rock example for your question apart from maybe Mike Tramp of White Lion who had a great Danish/American accent that I really liked.

The Proclaimers - caused quite a stir when they first surfaced as few (in pop and rock music anyway) had sung in such broad Scottish accents. After first seeing them on ‘The Tube’ I loved them immediately, instantly recognisable and with great songs too. 

Some music genres seem to suit regional accents more than others - obviously folk being one of them. I can’t imagine Kate Rusby or say The Unthanks using anything other than their own accents. Rock n roll, being thought of as primarily American in origin, means that most people covering it usually adopt a transatlantic style of phrasing. Not sure whether this is really correct, but after many years few question it being done. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, sykilz said:

Isn't it strange though when a singer has a strong accent talking, but not singing???? ( Looking at you, Adele....)😆😆

I can't think of a good rock example for your question apart from maybe Mike Tramp of White Lion who had a great Danish/American accent that I really liked.

Exactly this. Most singers tend to find a neutral singing voice despite their natural speaking one.

The Wind Up Birds. I didn't know I loved the Leeds accent until I heard them. It adds so much to the music. Not just accent but dialect as well. If you take this couplet from There Won't Always Be An England the scene is all the more vivid for not being overdressed in pretentious language

Edited by stewblack
Had to delete the lyrics as an entirely innocent word was censored
  • Like 1