Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Dissuasion

Frank Blank

10 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Any matte sunburst finish just dings my dong. The whole 34” or stick with short scales is what’s really bugging me which I why I was considering the Maruszczyk. What I really need to do is get up to Jabba and finally get the bass he’s been working on for me!

From my own experience having played short scales pretty much exclusively for around 3 years now, whenever I do pick up a standard scale bass they just feel cumbersome and unwieldy. But Sandberg have recently released a short scale, the attractively named Lionel. There's one here. If I was in the market for a new short scale that would be at the top of my list. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osiris said:

From my own experience having played short scales pretty much exclusively for around 3 years now, whenever I do pick up a standard scale bass they just feel cumbersome and unwieldy. But Sandberg have recently released a short scale, the attractively named Lionel. There's one here. If I was in the market for a new short scale that would be at the top of my list. 

I didn’t know they had a short scale available! Mind you I don’t like the look of it at all. I have this stupid niggle in the back of my brain that makes me think I have to have a 34” in the rack so I’m always scouting for one but I’m not sure I really do.

@Frank Blank As you know mate I have a thoroughly deserved reputation as a miserly cheapskate who owns basses which retailed in the four figures, and yet takes a perverse pleasure in using a 90 quid Harley instead.

However, Sandberg is different gravy as far as I'm concerned. Proper decent basses, one of those special instruments I have no intention of ever selling but not so expensive I'm terrified to take it out of the house. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

@Frank Blank As you know mate I have a thoroughly deserved reputation as a miserly cheapskate who owns basses which retailed in the four figures, and yet takes a perverse pleasure in using a 90 quid Harley instead.

However, Sandberg is different gravy as far as I'm concerned. Proper decent basses, one of those special instruments I have no intention of ever selling but not so expensive I'm terrified to take it out of the house. 

Best description ever 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only thing I don't like all that much about mine and which I'd generally alert a potential buyer to is that they both have whatever the opposite of fret-sprout is. Mine are both PF boards but one other that I no longer have was exactly the same with maple, so whilst I haven't played loads and it might not be true of the majority, I'm 3 for 3 - every fret at both ends. Running my hand down the sides of the board isn't the smooth experience I'm used to with other brands, and I'd have seriously preferred that it was. It's not massively uncomfortable or unpleasant, and I've clearly decided I can live with it, but I guess it could be a deal-breaker for some...?

IMG_5363.jpg.e5e92aef923e0dfcf82fd6752685b26e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Running my hand down the sides of the board isn't the smooth experience I'm used to with other brands,

That would have been a dealbreaker for me if I experienced that  Ed , I played about 6 in PMT before I bought mine and they were all good , I’m surprised Sandberg sent them out like that , I’ve got an ebony board and it’s well smooth 🙂

7634B3AE-F63B-4B74-837C-3D298EB5A130.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That would have been a dealbreaker for me if I experienced that  Ed , I played about 6 in PMT before I bought mine and they were all good , I’m surprised Sandberg sent them out like that , I’ve got an ebony board and it’s well smooth 🙂

7634B3AE-F63B-4B74-837C-3D298EB5A130.jpeg

Looks very nice, too! 🙂 I just accepted that given all three were the same, that was how they were. If it makes any odds, they’re all SLs from the cedar-bodied era - maybe they’re different in some way?!

• Like 1

Just be sure you could handle the lack of fingerboard dots is all i'd say... I find it throws me! Other than that, Sandberg all the way. I am a biased multiple VM owning endorsee however! Played this TT4 the other day, currently residing at Classic & Cool guitars/Limelight in Devon. Best bass I've ever played? Quite possibly....

https://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/portfolio/sandberg-masterpiece-tt4/

• Like 1

On 05/11/2020 at 13:08, Frank Blank said:

Can anyone think of a good reason not to buy a Sandberg TT4, in fact this Sandberg TT4? Just asking in case I get it and then one of you says Oh yeah they are bad for this or that, you know the score.

I thought that was the model name!

"Sandberg Disuasion - the bass you'll never buy." 

Hmm, probably not a great idea.

Sandberg and Disuasion don't go well together: there are lots of reasons why a Sandberg TT4 sounds like a good move, and I can't think of a single one against it... ;)

On 05/11/2020 at 13:49, jrixn1 said:

One thing I'd check is the price.  This brand-new passive TT4 from our European friends is £909 https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/sandberg-california-tt4-rw-bkb.html

Sandberg pricing seems to vary a lot within the same line, and I haven't fully understood the differences. For example, this one https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/sandberg-california-tt4-passive-rw-mbl-sa.html is £500 more, at a glance just for swapping ash to alder, and adding neck block inlays?

It's probably due to the finish. A glossy lacquered finish takes more time to do than a satin oil finish?

When I was considering finishes for my VM4, I thought I'd try a non-aged version. That would put the price up a few hundred, apparently (it was a non-standard colour, so that might have also factored in), since small imperfections are ok in the aged versions, plus they don't need to buff them quite as thoroughly. 

• Like 1

On 05/11/2020 at 14:24, Cuzzie said:

They do good basses, but there have been reports on some QC and aftermarket care not being tip top - not loads, but enough to put me off and certainly more than Sandberg

@Frank Blank They're good, and if you take your time to decide EXACTLY what you want, it can be a great way to get a really custom instrument for not a lot more than a new US Fender, which is crazy.

However... communication can be a bit tricky at times, and customer service after the sale could be smoother. In contrast, Sandberg just seem very responsive and easy to deal with.

I'm not saying don't buy a Maruszczyk (I owned three and still own one that I love), not at all, but if what you want can be made by Sandberg at a price you're happy with, Sandberg is probably the safest bet. If you want an extensive list of non standard specs, Sandberg can also do it but Maruszczyk will be more competitive in price. If you want an aged finish... then Sandberg all the way. I'm not a fan of aged finishes but the Sandberg ones look great and very realistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

@Frank Blank They're good, and if you take your time to decide EXACTLY what you want, it can be a great way to get a really custom instrument for not a lot more than a new US Fender, which is crazy.

However... communication can be a bit tricky at times, and customer service after the sale could be smoother. In contrast, Sandberg just seem very responsive and easy to deal with.

I'm not saying don't buy a Maruszczyk (I owned three and still own one that I love), not at all, but if what you want can be made by Sandberg at a price you're happy with, Sandberg is probably the safest bet. If you want an extensive list of non standard specs, Sandberg can also do it but Maruszczyk will be more competitive in price. If you want an aged finish... then Sandberg all the way. I'm not a fan of aged finishes but the Sandberg ones look great and very realistic.

Nice little aged finish here, and I checked the frets are lush and flush

C6410412-415D-42AA-834D-3726DE3CDF3F.thumb.jpeg.b9eb4cc7c58147f7ca06b1db7ac70540.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1