Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Dissuasion

Frank Blank

I cannot think of a dissuasion.  I enjoy my TT a lot; I don't know what more I could desire in a jazz-style bass.

FWIW the majority of Sandbergs are active; the one you've linked to is passive.  Personally passive is my preference anyway.

I'd also consider this one: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/441160-sandberg-california-sl-tm-4/  particularly if you are into the lightweight thing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jrixn1 said:

I cannot think of a dissuasion.  I enjoy my TT a lot; I don't know what more I could desire in a jazz-style bass.

FWIW the majority of Sandbergs are active; the one you've linked to is passive.  Personally passive is my preference anyway.

I'd also consider this one: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/441160-sandberg-california-sl-tm-4/  particularly if you are into the lightweight thing.

Cheers @jrixn1. I just can't do those light coloured fingerboards.

One thing I'd check is the price.  This brand-new passive TT4 from our European friends is £909 https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/sandberg-california-tt4-rw-bkb.html

Sandberg pricing seems to vary a lot within the same line, and I haven't fully understood the differences. For example, this one https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/sandberg-california-tt4-passive-rw-mbl-sa.html is £500 more, at a glance just for swapping ash to alder, and adding neck block inlays?

• Thanks 1

Let’s break it down.

Wonderful playability, sound, construction, aftermarket support whether it’s bought new or second hand and the feeling of having an old friend by your side.

And Hölger is a dude.

I always say with a sandberg, they are impossible to hate and there is a good chance you will love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Wonderful playability, sound, construction, aftermarket support whether it’s bought new or second hand and the feeling of having an old friend by your side.

Agree with this. They are Plek'd at the factory. Mine is the best playing guitar of any kind that I have owned. 

I had a problem with a bridge saddle, and Holger replied very apologetically and sent me two spare saddles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Sandberg pricing seems to vary a lot within the same line, and I haven't fully understood the differences. For example, this one https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/sandberg-california-tt4-passive-rw-mbl-sa.html is £500 more, at a glance just for swapping ash to alder, and adding neck block inlays?

Looking closely at the picture, does it have some mild ageing done? It's not my thing but their relicing options seem to be very well done.

Edited by pineweasel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Can anyone think of a good reason not to buy a Sandberg TT4, in fact this Sandberg TT4? Just asking in case I get it and then one of you says Oh yeah they are bad for this or that, you know the score.

I had a Sandberg TT4, this is the beast. It was a cracking bass in every possible respect, I couldn't fault it, it looked great, played like a dream and sounded fantastic, it was also passive. I only begrudgingly sold it due to a wrist injury meaning I can no longer play 34" scale basses without cramping up. 

Personally I find the one in the Bass Gallery link a bit garish, but then again I have a pathological aversion to both turdburst and gold hardware. But it'll still be a cracking bass despite its hideous appearance :D 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Osiris said:

I had a Sandberg TT4, this is the beast. It was a cracking bass in every possible respect, I couldn't fault it, it looked great, played like a dream and sounded fantastic, it was also passive. I only begrudgingly sold it due to a wrist injury meaning I can no longer play 34" scale basses without cramping up. 

Personally I find the one in the Bass Gallery link a bit garish, but then again I have a pathological aversion to both turdburst and gold hardware. But it'll still be a cracking bass despite its hideous appearance :D 

Any matte sunburst finish just dings my dong. The whole 34” or stick with short scales is what’s really bugging me which I why I was considering the Maruszczyk. What I really need to do is get up to Jabba and finally get the bass he’s been working on for me!

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think Dave @dmccombe7 started a thread a while back which asked for views on the pros / cons of Bergs. Couldn't locate it with a quick search just now, but I'm sure he or someone else may recall where it is. Worth a little peruse.

Had a search for that topic but can't seem to find it.

Have to say i'd struggle to find a better playable bass for the money. 

I like the look of the one you are looking at and don't see any reason for not buying it if its the passive one you want.

I believe the TT basses have thinner necks than my VM4 and that's probably something i might look at in the future. Fancy a passive VS4 with a thinner neck if possible. Failing that i do like the look of the DK Marlowe Jazz.

Only when things start picking up again.

Dave 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The other bass I'm considering is this Maruszczyk Elwood 4p 30”, but again I'm not familiar with the brand...

I've had a Maru (passive Jake 5L) and currently have a Sandberg (VM5).  Both very, very good basses.  For me the Sandberg shades it, possibly because I prefer the P/M pickup config over the P/J of the Maru.  The necks were quite similar, quite shallow compared to other fivers I've played and super easy to play. Again, I'd probably say that the Sandberg is a fraction better for me.  Of course YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1