Why become a member? ×

Illicit rehearsing.. UPDATED WITH MU GUIDANCE

Jakester

I've just received a message from a member of our band who said that if we wanted to continue rehearsing through lockdown, a rehearsal studio will allow us to. 

It's not somewhere I've ever been before (don't know it at all actually) and I've said for various reasons (not least it would probably be a breach of the rules!) I not comfortable doing it. 

Quite surprised that a business would run the risk at present though - I'd have thought a £10k fine would sink most rehearsal studio setups. 

Edited by Jakester

If they're getting no trade at all, then some might take the risk.  It does seem very rash though.

I suppose there might be technical ways to do it, as well; each person in a separate booth might do it, if places have the kit.  I have no idea how well that would be received by the court though.

Edited by alyctes

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

A professional band can rehearse, because it's their livelihood.  They cannot "work from home".

Hmm, I'm not sure that is accurate. Entertainment venues will be allowed to stay open "for a small number of exempt activities, including ... training and rehearsal without an audience (in theatres and concert halls)" - from here. The guidelines do not mention rehearsal studios and however you cut it, they're not providing essential goods or services. 

My (hasty) reading of the latest CV Regulations suggests that it is okay for a professional musician to leave the home for work (Regulation 6(4)) and also potentially to meet with the other members of the band (Regulation 11(3)(a)). Regulation 17(6)(e) exempts concert halls and theatres from closure if used for rehearsal, but Part 3 of the Schedule to the Regulations does not include rehearsal premises in the list of businesses/premises allowed to remain open. So whilst they can meet in a 'gathering' for work purposes, they can't rehearse anywhere unless it's a theatre or concert hall. 

Interestingly, dance studios are allowed to remain open  (Regulation 17(6)(d)). 

I wonder if the MU are on to this? Seems a pretty big problem for those professional musicians not in shows. 

Edited by Jakester
  • Like 1

Hmm, I wonder if it is this:

"(6) Regulation 16(1) does not prevent the use of—

(b)any premises used for the making of a film, television programme, audio programme or audio-visual advertisement;:

Edited by Jakester

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

So what if you’re semi-pro?

Good question, and I don't know; as per the latest comments above, it's even unclear what is allowed for those who are definitely full-time professional musicians!

Edited by jrixn1

Our band leader came up with the logic that we were being paid for the gig so it was work and we could carry on rehearsing in his shed/studio. The rest of us weren't so sure. Since the gig's been cancelled we have opted for a lay-off until the end of lockdown. It'll be a great gig when it happens, and the rehearsals were fun, just not now.

Edited by chris_b

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

A professional band can rehearse, because it's their livelihood.  They cannot "work from home".

The proprietor of a nearby studio has said that he will keep it open as he was at work and the bands visiting were practicing for work.
However, the number of bookings has apparently dropped to an unsustainable level.

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Good question, and I don't know; as per the latest comments above, it's even unclear what is allowed for those who are definitely full-time professional musicians!

Well our rehearsal studio and the recording studio where we’re doing our album are closing, so it’s a moot point!

17 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Well our rehearsal studio and the recording studio where we’re doing our album are closing, so it’s a moot point!

Same with ours, notice put up on website/Facebook etc. I also think that - given now it has to be booked/paid online - they’ve messaged everyone who had bookings to advise of the closure.

Aha! I was just sending an email to the MU to ask for their guidance on this issue, and this popped up on their website:

https://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/Home/News/2020/Nov/Guidance-on-Continuing-to-Rehearse-During-England

The salient points are: 

"The guidance we’ve received from DCMS confirms that bands and individuals can still rehearse from Covid-secure venues, such as rehearsal studios, provided that they are a “working” band or individual, and that their “work” cannot be carried out at home.

By a “working” band – we understand this to apply to both professionals and part-time professionals, provided they are meeting with the purpose of rehearsing towards potential or actual paid engagements."

So looks like I was wrong! 

They don't show their working, however, so it would be helpful if they could share the DCMS advice so we know exactly what is and isn't permitted. Hopefully they'll reply to my query. 

Edited by Jakester
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1