Why become a member? ×

Luna Bass

stewblack

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

There was a danger of me getting all Homer's car on it. But the first sketch the guy sent me was very minimal - it was, after all, only about the shape back then. And I was really drawn to the clean, minimal design. Just felt wrong not to add a ton of stuff while I was 'in charge'. But as time passed we junked the clutter and ended up with what I think is a beautiful, clean, understated design. 

Certainly more stylish than the new Vox and more imaginative than the Ashdown basses, for example.

I think people would buy those.

You should enter it for No Treble Bass of the Week.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mhoss32 said:

That control layout is perfect. Reminds me of some of the cool eastern-bloc basses from the 70s and 80s, awesome!

Thank you! That's great feed back I'll make sure Stuart sees your comment.

Sadly I won't be receiving the bass yet. The lockdown rules are there for a reason and I can't justify the trip as 'necessary'. 

Let me plug Impure Guitars while I am here. This bass is a stylistic deviation from Stuarts earlier work. He has been very good to work with during the creative part of the process, and his work ethic can't be faulted. If he wasn't 100% happy at any stage, he would go back and do it again. I intend to start selling /saving for another build and won't be looking anywhere else. 

https://www.impureguitars.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bet you're itching to get your hands on it after all this time. 

I'm sure you'll absolutely love it, but... well... you know... I'm sure it would love to come and live in Cornwall if you didn't. 😉

really, really love the look of it. 

Happy NBD for tomorrow.

🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2021 at 11:45, stewblack said:

The bass is done. It's a nitro finish. This is something I often read about here but have no clue about. Any particular care I need to take? 

Yes - a lack of any particular care - so it relics up nicely :)

edit: added clarification 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

Looks great - very individual :)

How does it sit when playing?  I'm guessing that it is very comfortable :)

Any chance of a shot of the body more face on to avoid the lens distortion?  I stand on the dining table for some of my shots.  MrsAndyjr1515 is always delighted, as you can imagine :lol:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I stand on the dining table for some of my shots.  MrsAndyjr1515 is always delighted, as you can imagine :lol:

I can understand that.  To keep explaining it to the dinner guests must be something of a chore.

Love the retro styling of this.  Can you do sound bites, Stew?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Looks great - very individual :)

How does it sit when playing?  I'm guessing that it is very comfortable :)

Any chance of a shot of the body more face on to avoid the lens distortion?  I stand on the dining table for some of my shots.  MrsAndyjr1515 is always delighted, as you can imagine :lol:

14 hours ago, Paul S said:

I can understand that.  To keep explaining it to the dinner guests must be something of a chore.

Love the retro styling of this.  Can you do sound bites, Stew?

Thanks both! I took Luna to my rehearsal this evening. As observed, sits really nicely when I'm seated. The sound was warm, satisfying. The bass is a little heavy, not overly so, but you know it's there. The neck is a dream to play. 

I shall record it and take more pics for you. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...