Why become a member? ×

Luna Bass

stewblack

14 hours ago, BassTool said:
21 hours ago, stewblack said:

Screenshot_20210123_131816.jpg

Not sure why, but I am finding that quite attractive, and I usually NEVER go for any of that there 'relic' nonsense.

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

This isn't, technically speaking, a reliced bass. It's a chunk of old wood from a barn (or something like that anyway) so it's grown old naturally 

I'm knot a fan.  I wanted to ask however if that is what the young people call "steam punk" these days

31 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'm knot a fan.  I wanted to ask however if that is what the young people call "steam punk" these days

I think that's called a barncaster.

<thread.derail> Steampunk is faux victoriana. Originally coined, as far as I know, when people started writing alternative history, if Babbage had got the difference engine working for example and the Victorians had developed computers. Modern tech in a victorian style ornate, or at least well constructed housing. My favourite Steampunk novel is The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. </thread.derail>

Edited by Si600
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I think that's called a barncaster.

The term Barncaster reflects the shape of the instrument.  I'm wondering what the general term is for the style where recycled (and flawed) timber is used in a variety of body shapes.  If it is a thing that is.

I agree with @stewblack that it isn't relicing in the strictest sense.

I assume, similarly, that barncaster refers to a telecaster made from reclaimed wood. I confess I didn't know it was a 'thing', but I do rather like it. 

I was considering a bass made from an old Somerset and Dorset railway sleeper as a nod to my local heritage. I think they were soaked in something nasty though. 

Heavy too. 

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I was considering a bass made from an old Somerset and Dorset railway sleeper as a nod to my local heritage. I think they were soaked in something nasty though. 

Heavy too. 

'DO NOT USE THE TOILET WHILE THE TRAIN IS STANDING IN THE STATION' 

If you do make a bass from a railway sleeper, try and get one from the track in the station, they shouldn't be as "soaked in something nasty" as the others. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yes, very nasty, you don't want a guitar made from a used railway sleeper. Side of a barn would be much better. Or old table.

33 minutes ago, stewblack said:

One of those would make a great turntable stand though.  If you like the smell of creosote.

22 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

One of those would make a great turntable stand though.  If you like the smell of creosote.

I actually love the smell of creosote, the real stuff mind. Takes me straight back to being 6 or 7 and helping my grandad do his fence. Funny how smells work. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BassTool said:

As I wrote 'relic' and clicked the 'submit reply' button I thought...I'm gonna get pulled here 😆

You got off lightly lad.  Elsewhere folk have been lynch mobbed by bedroom bassists with an overdeveloped sense of self-entitlement for saying as much.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 2

I don't like relicing particularly, if I play it and the paint rubs off then so be it, but I don't see the point of buying it pre rubbed off.

It's like shabby chic, which as far as I can tell is a term invented by people who can't paint a chest of drawers properly.  😉

On the other hand, I do like stuff made out of reclaimed timber. Some of the marks and figuring can be amazing. Some of the things I have made out of pallet wood have some really nice texture. 

Edited by Si600
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The bass is done. It's a nitro finish. This is something I often read about here but have no clue about. Any particular care I need to take? 

No one cares about how you look after the finish, let's see some pictures man. 😁

The only thing I know you have to be careful with is the type of stand/rack that has foam protection. The foam can react with the paint and mark it. Nitro never fully cures so certain chemicals can soften it again. Also I've found some polishes tend to do more harm than good, again because the finish is soft compared to poly. 

• Thanks 2

On 07/02/2021 at 12:17, Maude said:
On 07/02/2021 at 11:45, stewblack said:

The bass is done. It's a nitro finish. This is something I often read about here but have no clue about. Any particular care I need to take? 

No one cares about how you look after the finish, let's see some pictures man. 😁

Ha ha! That's a really good point.. 

FB_IMG_1612697641299.jpg

FB_IMG_1612697645303.jpg

FB_IMG_1612697651020.jpg

FB_IMG_1612697656003.jpg

• Like 14

51 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Very nice Stew, I like the headstock as well as the understated hardware on the body.

There was a danger of me getting all Homer's car on it. But the first sketch the guy sent me was very minimal - it was, after all, only about the shape back then. And I was really drawn to the clean, minimal design. Just felt wrong not to add a ton of stuff while I was 'in charge'. But as time passed we junked the clutter and ended up with what I think is a beautiful, clean, understated design. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, stewblack said:

There was a danger of me getting all Homer's car on it. But the first sketch the guy sent me was very minimal - it was, after all, only about the shape back then. And I was really drawn to the clean, minimal design. Just felt wrong not to add a ton of stuff while I was 'in charge'. But as time passed we junked the clutter and ended up with what I think is a beautiful, clean, understated design. 

Absolutely the right move in my opinion. It's got just the right amount of detail to add interest without cluttering the design. The soundholes and quirky pickguard/control surround are the perfect amount of detail with the control surround mirroring the soundholes. Even a second pickup would clutter it I feel. The headstock matches the overall esthetic perfectly too. 

Profile, features and colour? Perfection! 👌

• Thanks 1