Why become a member? ×

Luna Bass

stewblack

A couple of months back I hit on a Facebook advert which ended up with me chatting to the man who runs Impure Guitars. 

I really liked the inventiveness and imagination evident in his work, and so a seed was planted. 

I sent him pictures of basses I liked the look of, just randomly culled from a Google image search without too much thought.

He came back with a sketch of an idea for a body shape. The seed sprouted! 

After a bit of back and forth we realised my original idea of a lump of old charred reclaimed timber and some hillbilly, rustic stylings were not compatible with the shape and style we were developing. 

So the idea now is more late 50s Atomic Age. The project has begun. 

received_351585762767040.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

That just looks how I imagine the OP one should look... apart from I had seafoam green in mind. It's kinda got that 50 futuristic (oxymoron, I know) look about it? Like all the retro US car styling.

3 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

That just looks how I imagine the OP one should look... apart from I had seafoam green in mind. It's kinda got that 50 futuristic (oxymoron, I know) look about it? Like all the retro US car styling.

They do a peppermint one:

preview_1.thumb.jpg.01fadf51ee0b5c11d310a1a3a776cd4c.jpg

I think they look great, apart from I think the dropped the ball with the pickups, which should have at the very least been filtatrons if not something more retro

Edited by Woodinblack

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeah kind of, I do like that guitar though. I'll share the pic with the guy see what he thinks 

Edited by stewblack

• 2 months later...

So... my build has suffered from the lockdowns - home schooling quite rightly taking precedence over bass making. 

Not a problem for me, I'm far from impatient. I gave Stu at Impure Guitars full discretion once we'd agreed on a shape and a thematic idea. 

I don't believe in commissioning an artist and then telling him how to paint (as it were), so I've left him to get on with it. 

My only stipulation was he had to be happy with the result. The finish was applied but it just didn't float his boat like he'd hoped it might. So he stripped it and started again, going this time for a nitro seafoam green, and it's perfect 👌

In the interim he stripped some bakelite from an old radio and polished it up for the pickguard. 

The pics are a bit shaky but give a pretty good idea of where we're heading. Waiting on the dual concentric pot and a whatever else has to happen paint wise, then it all comes together. 

140319043_863511574192974_4799567538301338014_n.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Maude said:

Nice bit of toaster action. What toaster is it? 

I couldn't quite work it out at first as the reflections on the centre metal piece looked like raised pole pieces. 

It's a Retrovibe. I wanted to shop local! 

1 hour ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Only just seen this thread. I did wonder if you were heading in this direction: 

https://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/backlund-100-bass/

That's nice! We aren't a million miles away shape wise, but in the end we opted for a more simple look. 

The thing evolved over time, had a lot more going on at one point. It was then I realised that if I micromanaged the process we would end up with Homer's car in guitar form. It was then I resolved to let the builder make the decisions from there on in. 

I know some people couldn't commission a build and not have the final say - after all that would be the whole point. But for me, with fairly limited knowledge and catholic tastes, I like having something to look forward to. 

Don't get me wrong Stu and I made sure we were on the same page before he broke out the tools. But I chose him because I believe he has a good eye and a creative mind, I don't want to get in the way of that. 

I won't know if I like it until its hanging around my neck, but that's almost always true. Apart from three of my basses I have never played any of them prior to the unboxing and things generally turn out OK. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's a Retrovibe. I wanted to shop local! 

As well as shopping local they're excellent pickups. They were second on my list for my Hofner build but I didn't want the toaster style covers. 

They'll sound great. 🙂👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

A few other of his basses, one bass based on my bass, basically, is not a bass. 

(try saying that with a mouthful of sherbert lemons) 

Screenshot_20210123_131816.jpg

Not sure why, but I am finding that quite attractive, and I usually NEVER go for any of that there 'relic' nonsense...😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BassTool said:

Not sure why, but I am finding that quite attractive, and I usually NEVER go for any of that there 'relic' nonsense...😆

This isn't, technically speaking, a reliced bass. It's a chunk of old wood from a barn (or something like that anyway) so it's grown old naturally