Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM-300 vs ABM-300

WarBeer

In my experience get on a very big stage where you’re a fair distance away from your amp/cab(s) that’s when you can tell the difference, there’s a solidity and weight to the sound of the ABM amps that comes through at that point, just carries/projects better. But on a stage area in a pub, well I didn’t notice much difference to be honest. I think the RM amps are exceptional, def the best Class D amps I’ve tried.

For reference I had the ABM600 and RM500, and as I left my touring band last year I’ve sold the ABM. It was the best amp I’ve ever had but for the type of gigs I’m likely to play in future (once C19 gets sorted) the RM will be plenty enough for my needs. Doesn’t stop me missing that ABM though.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is over a year old, but I have a question regarding the tonal differences between the ABMs and the RMs. Currently, I use the MAG600 EVO-II and love the tonal controls. I find that boosting the low-mids (220-240?) brings out an incredible tone. I'm upgrading soon and wondered if I should go for the RM or the ABM. With so much praise for the ABM, and it's lack of the 220-240Hz adjustment, has me a bit torn between which of the two I should get. I understand the jury's still out on the 200-400hz....blah blah blah...mud zone....blah blah blah..., but I kinda like it. It makes my Ibanez SR306e sound amazing through my ABM-210s vertically stacked. So...would I be able to achieve the MAG600 tonality? 

Bass: 2

Low-Mids: 1

Mids: 8

Hi-mids: 12

High: 2-3 (depending on the room).

On 09/12/2021 at 18:05, Jim Bob Wilkenson said:

I know this thread is over a year old, but I have a question regarding the tonal differences between the ABMs and the RMs. Currently, I use the MAG600 EVO-II and love the tonal controls. I find that boosting the low-mids (220-240?) brings out an incredible tone. I'm upgrading soon and wondered if I should go for the RM or the ABM. With so much praise for the ABM, and it's lack of the 220-240Hz adjustment, has me a bit torn between which of the two I should get. I understand the jury's still out on the 200-400hz....blah blah blah...mud zone....blah blah blah..., but I kinda like it. It makes my Ibanez SR306e sound amazing through my ABM-210s vertically stacked. So...would I be able to achieve the MAG600 tonality? 

Bass: 2

Low-Mids: 1

Mids: 8

Hi-mids: 12

High: 2-3 (depending on the room).

I've owned both MAG600 (narrow version) and ABM600 but not at the same time. I much preferred the MAG over earlier ABM heads; it sounded really punchy with lots of clarity and low end perhaps due to the less complicated signal path. The ABM600 will give you extra features but if you don't need or end up using them it might not be an upgrade at all. I've no experience with RM series.

PS, I find 340Hz to be the area that I cut to remove boxiness. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I've owned both MAG600 (narrow version) and ABM600 but not at the same time. I much preferred the MAG over earlier ABM heads; it sounded really punchy with lots of clarity and low end perhaps due to the less complicated signal path. The ABM600 will give you extra features but if you don't need or end up using them it might not be an upgrade at all. I've no experience with RM series.

PS, I find 340Hz to be the area that I cut to remove boxiness. 

Yep I do the same .. pull back the 340hz slider as it improves the sound no end