Why become a member? ×

My song about *being* a (press-ganged) bass player.

Nail Soup

The recent thread from @wateroftyne was looking for songs about specific bass players.................and it reminded me of a song I wrote/recorded over lockdown about being a bass player.

In particular about bass players who didn't choose bass, but had it pushed on them. It's inspired by quite a few stories I read on BC and elsewhere saying that the rest of the band 'put them on bass' and especially the story of Spandau Ballet - the manager told Gary Kemp to get Martin (who didn't play bass) in as bassist (even though they already had a bassist) because they needed a 'pin-up' in the band.

The song is called "You're Gonna Play Bass"... here's the Soundcloud:

(I normally record solo, but to get into the whole lockdown sprit got some remote guests on this one: Terry: Lead Guitar, Chris: Bass)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I like this. A lot. 

I didn't have bass pushed on me - I chose it. It just felt right - I'd tried one of those screechy things with too many strings but it never really resonated with me. Then, far too many years later, I picked up a bass and knew instantly that I'd found my instrument. 

What I find amusing is watching the guitarers shredding in the spotlight oblivious to the fact that their bassists are driving their performances...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, lozkerr said:

@Nail Soup, is there a purchase / download option on there? This song's cheered me up immensely.

Thanks! No, I never thought of my stuff having any commercial value or even being wanted for free!

Happy for anyone to have a copy for nowt, I'd love folk to get  a copy but don't know how to distribute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Happy for anyone to have a copy for nowt, I'd love folk to get  a copy but don't know how to distribute.

You could pop an MP3 in here if you're happy to distribute freebies, but TBH I think you deserve a few quid for this. I've been listening to it on and off throughout the day and I'm still giggling at the lyrics - they're so true to life. I've had a few ideas for a pi55-taking video, too.

If you wanted to distribute paid-for copies via SoundCloud, @PunkPonyPrincess could help you out - she's put out a few singles there. I particularly like (I Don't Want) Your Germs.

If you wanted to send me a high-quality MP3 via PM, could I slip you a fiver via PayPal? 

Love the song!

My own tale...

My dad was a guitarist and we had a couple of guitars at home. Naturally I wanted to follow in his footsteps.
At secondary school, I really enjoyed the generic music lesson - things like glockenspiels and keyboard. Eventually, there was some space for one on one lessons in other instruments, and I put my name down for guitar  - but I was offered  bass instead.

I spent the next few years learning bass, doing the exam pieces etc. while simultaneously self-teaching guitar. I was a perfectly good guitarist, as good as most of my guitarist friends. I started a few bands with me on guitar - and always had terrible bassists. The school's music department were great, always putting on interesting performances. But I almost always ended up on bass, with them favouring school-taught guitarists. There were a few exceptions when my own bands were allowed to perform at Christmas shows.

By the time I was 18, the penny dropped that I was a better bassist than a guitarist (who'd have thought formal teaching would do that??), and if I'd pursued a career as a guitarist I'd probably get frustrated with sub-standard bassists (common in many teenage bands!). It also let me be in bands with my guitarist friends.

George

• Like 1