Why become a member? ×

What strings for a Schecter Hellcat Bass VI

Sarlscharisma

1 hour ago, Maude said:

Thanks, I'll look into them. 

To be honest the low E is still too floppy for my liking but my worry was, given the narrow string spacing, that with even thicker strings they'd be too tightly packed together on the neck. Flats would help but I use it for post punk type stuff so wanted rounds. 

The Axions (100 E) are under £20 (even with postage IIRC), and they work fine for me on the Burns Barracuda, although it does have a wider neck (but narrower string spacing at the bridge) than the Fender/Squier Bass VIs. If you want heavier then the GHS Hooky 6 set has thicker gauges on all the strings 105 to 30, but as you've found the neck width (or lack of it) may be a problem.

• 1 year later...
On 05/11/2020 at 15:07, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, I have to break to you that you are wrong, in fact the Ernie Ball 2837 Slinky Baritone string set is made specifically with Bass Vi type instruments in mind, despite having Baritone in their name, though a bit too short for the specific Fender model (because of the bridge positioning/how the strings are attached needing a bit longer string length), I think in specific these Ernie Ball strings are made for the Gretsch Jet one.

And as I mentioned the set that D'Addario make specifically to fit Fender Bass VI got a low E string that is just gauge .084, though I agree that would be way too thin and floppy for a low E, so not sure what the reasoning behind such a thin gauge for the low E is.

Most Bass VI string sets will feature a gauge .090 or .095 low E string (the Schecter Hellcat Bass VI in question is fitted with a gauge .090 low E string from factory), and in my opinion that is quite fitting for a low E on a 30" scale instrument.

Personally I have always used a set with a gauge .095 low E string for 30" scale short scale basses, and to me they always felt just right and never too floppy.

What most people doesn't realize is that even though the tension of the strings will be lower on a shorter scale instrument they will actually feel much stiffer, contrary to common believes, just think of guitars which usually will have much lower string tension than basses typically would, or how a wooden stick laid out between two points, kind of like a bridge, gets more flexible and will require less force to bend the further the two points are apart.

A gauge .105 for the low E string on a 30" scale instrument in my opinion would feel way too stiff (and be way too thick with the tight string spacing of a Bass VI type instrument), despite having lower tension than it would on a 34" scale bass.

On top of that comes that the way you would typically play a Bass VI type instrument compared to how you would typically play a bass doesn't require for the strings to be quite as rigid and stiff, in that a Bass VI type instrument in many ways, beside the lower tuning, and in in some cases a bit longer scale length (some baritone guitars will have a 30" scale length as well), actually have more in common with a baritone guitar than an actual bass in terms of how they are typically used and played. 

1 hour ago, snipedoguk said:

Ernie Ball 2837 strings are described as Slinky Bass strings, not Baritone strings?

*sigh*

:facepalm:

You know what, forget it!

Yes, I admit, I was obviously making it all up, and got no clue whatsoever what I am talking about, and that I forgot what it says on the package should be a clear proof of that.

Go **** **** ****!

So much for trying to help. :dash1:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

This guy, which the post you quote me for was a reply to, knows what he is talking about :

On 05/11/2020 at 15:57, BigRedX said:

The clue as to why these might not be the right strings is in the name.

Baritone.

Baritone is not the same the same as Bass VI. They are two separate instruments with which are tuned differently and have different tonal characteristics. From personal experience with both baritone guitars and a variety of Bass VIs from different manufacturers I would be very reluctant to go with anything lighter than a 95 for the low E, and experience with both the Netwone Axions and the GHS Hooky 6 strings shows that 100 and 105 respectively give a much tighter sound, with a better defined note, which if you are playing goth/post-punk music is what you want.

9_9

You know what, why not make it even better and put on a gauge .130 string for the low E, now you are at it!

It'll work so great with that tight string spacing, and sound so good as you go up the fretboard with that short scale length.

And don't worry about the neck, you know, it is mend to bend like a banana.

If it gets too much you just keep turning that trussrod till it snaps.

Don't worry, that is what it is supposed to do. 

:i-m_so_happy:

• 1 year later...

old thread i know...  reading through this there seems to be little awareness that there are two lengths of vi strings depending on whether you have the fender bass vi trem assembly or the hard tail like the hellcat. So many of the vi string sets are aimed at the fender vi which means the tapered end to fit into the guitar tuners is in the wrong place for say the hellcat.  I know ernie ball do the taper in the right location for the hellcat because they are purpose made for the mm silhouette bass which is pretty much the same ..ie a hardtail. My problem is i actually have the silhouette bass but i dont like the lightness of the e-e ernie ball 90 on the lowe e...but obviously i cant just go out and buy any set that says vi  ...i was hoping the labella hellcat vi set might be the answer but they are being discontinued ..so what do hellcat vi owners have now apart from ernie ball which is just one set option???

5 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

old thread i know...  reading through this there seems to be little awareness that there are two lengths of vi strings depending on whether you have the fender bass vi trem assembly or the hard tail like the hellcat. So many of the vi string sets are aimed at the fender vi which means the tapered end to fit into the guitar tuners is in the wrong place for say the hellcat.  I know ernie ball do the taper in the right location for the hellcat because they are purpose made for the mm silhouette bass which is pretty much the same ..ie a hardtail. My problem is i actually have the silhouette bass but i dont like the lightness of the e-e ernie ball 90 on the lowe e...but obviously i cant just go out and buy any set that says vi  ...i was hoping the labella hellcat vi set might be the answer but they are being discontinued ..so what do hellcat vi owners have now apart from ernie ball which is just one set option???

https://newtonestrings.com/ :

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/axion-custom-works-fender-vi-set/

Or

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/custom-string-configurator/

2 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

GHS strings designed for the Eastwood Hooky Bass. A bit heavier than the LaBellas and Newtones, but better for it IMO.

Just looked at my Hooky Bass and there's no taper at the machine head end because this bass has bass-style tuning posts.In fact out of all my Bass VIs only the Squier has guitar style ones. Looks like a custom set from Newtone is the best way to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Just looked at my Hooky Bass and there's no taper at the machine head end because this bass has bass-style tuning posts.In fact out of all my Bass VIs only the Squier has guitar style ones. Looks like a custom set from Newtone is the best way to go.

yeah ..i will investigate ..thanks.