Why become a member? ×

Clone of the original EHX Small Stone phaser with depth and feedback control?

Baloney Balderdash

So, does such a thing as a clone of the original old EHX Small Stone phaser with sweep/depth and feedback/resonance control and no volume drop when engaged exists?

And in that case how would I be able to get hold of one?

It needs to be the old original version of the small stone circuit, cause the new version, even if claiming to feature the same circuit, is not nearly as lush sounding, plus there's a hole in the sweep with the color switch set to high depth and feedback, like sweeping too deep, out of range, that the original doesn't have.

For now I got the ultra cheap Behringer Vintage Phaser, which is a faithful clone of the original circuit, unfortunately including the volume drop, but I absolutely love how it sounds. 

Directing me to someone who is willing to make custom effects or mod my Behringer would be fine by me too.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

42 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

There is this, but it's overkill and uber expensive:

https://www.chaseblissaudio.com/shop-pedals/wombtone-mkii

Quite a nudge up in price from the Behringer I use now, which, beside the volume drop and lack of controls, actually sounds no short of amazing.

However I will consider it, even if it would be way way more expensive than any of my other effect pedals, and not even an effect that will see much use.

Still for the few passages where I do need the effect it will be quite essential, and as I am already considering the Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter, which I got recommended in a similar thread that I made on The Gear Page forum, and the Wombtone wouldn't be considerably more expensive than that, if I chose to spend this much on a phaser pedal I might as well pay a little extra and get what seems to be the superior one.

In any case thanks for your suggestion. :i-m_so_happy:

I found the Small Stone pretty intense and dark sounding, it does really well in a blender though to add a bit of dry back in. If this was your primary aim also, then that might be a simpler route to get what you want.

I sold it in the end to be replaced by a standard block logo MXR Phase 90 as it had more clarity, but I do miss the Small Stone!

21 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I found the Small Stone pretty intense and dark sounding, it does really well in a blender though to add a bit of dry back in. If this was your primary aim also, then that might be a simpler route to get what you want.

I sold it in the end to be replaced by a standard block logo MXR Phase 90 as it had more clarity, but I do miss the Small Stone!

Actually I want it to be really intense as how I use it is parallely blended with a more subtle flanger effect via my Boss LS-2, and I want it to still give that somewhat envelope filter-esque quacky "wauh" sound.

It is quite dark though, true, and really darker than I'd ideally prefer it to be, but I actually found a passable solution to that, that also solves the volume drop, by having a quite low gain and relatively bright overdrive placed in front of it.

Thinking of it it might be possible for me to use some kind of envelope filter with a character somewhat similar to that phaser like swirly quack instead, if such an effect exists.

In that case, any recommendation for an envelope filter pedal that would be capable of producing that kind of sound?