Why become a member? ×

Bands you began to like when they went commercial...

Barking Spiders

........while their fans tended to moan about them selling out.

While working this morning I've been listening to 90125 by Yes which I like, in contrast to their earlier proggish stuff. IMO  'Owner' is one of the best singles of the 80s. Similarly I never cared much for Metallica until the black album. Over to you👉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

The Thompson Twins

Whitesnake

Def Leppard

Bob Dylan

Thompson Twins - great call. Saw them as a large band (possibly 9) at Ken Livingstone's Anti Royal Wedding gig at the Crystal Palace Bowl. Loved them as they were, but also loved them as a pop band.

Dylan - what do you consider commercial? Going electric?

43 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Thompson Twins - great call. Saw them as a large band (possibly 9) at Ken Livingstone's Anti Royal Wedding gig at the Crystal Palace Bowl. Loved them as they were, but also loved them as a pop band.

Dylan - what do you consider commercial? Going electric?

The Twins - first 2 albums early 80's politico-squat angst. But even then 'In the Name of Love' seemed to be the most popular song at gigs.

Dylan - yup, going electric 🤯

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

The Twins - first 2 albums early 80's politico-squat angst. But even then 'In the Name of Love' seemed to be the most popular song at gigs.

Dylan - yup, going electric 🤯

Must check out those albums. Only remember seeing them live and really enjoying them, then a couple of years later they reappeared (in my life) as the pop band.

I can think of plenty the other way around - whose work I prefer before they went commercial - but struggling with post commercial stuff. 

Possibly, because Thrash Metal isn't my thing, Metallica.  I liked the black album and a few bits and bobs since then but not much before.

Like everyone else I find it easier to think of bands who's chase for financial success appeared to take them down different musical avenues from those which I enjoyed. However. I got into Pulp once they became commericially succesful. I've listened to the albums which preceded their breakout, Different Class, and while there are some good or interesting tunes their later stuff, and Jarvis' solo work, is much more to my liking.

Early in my musical odyssey I liked Sweet and T.Rex, but was quite perplexed by their pre-fame offerings. In fairness I was about 8.

I don't dislike Thin Lizzy's early albums as such, but Johnny The Fox and Jailbreak transformed them and for the better - to my ears.

Oh and the Soup Dragons were better once aboard the baggy bandwagon.

• Like 1

Clannad were a great little acoustic folk band but then they went electric.  Wow.  Just wow.

Queen bought heavily into the electronic sounds of the eighties.  Whilst a respectable nod to current tech and all that, I always preferred them before as a rock and roll band.