Why become a member? ×

Controls. Never seen them here before!

Chopthebass

I know many builders like to come up with their own ideas to put their custom stamp on a bass, but just came across this. What the hell! May be ok when seated, but surely there’s potential for settings to change when the body touches you when standing up playing. Maybe if they were recessed it would be better, but still, not conveniently located!!

D3C3B184-36FA-4775-BD15-138E71D6019F.png

I have refinished my Spector and while at it I moved the controls to the back. The sliders do what the pots did, vol, vol, bass, treble. This was my gigging bass for a long time, I never touched the controls on the bass but got annoyed when they were accidentaly turned when getting it out from the gigbag etc.  So I thought it was a great idea and it was since I never regretted. Love the clean look of the front also love when it takes a while for peolple to realize what's missing 🙂 Also the sliders are sticking out of the plate just enought so you can move but never with your body or leg or whatever it is getting in contact with in the heat of the gig 🙂IMG_5392.thumb.JPG.5be896d1c0693cba05ddf3de4824e663.JPGIMG_5394.thumb.JPG.be7ca297b8753e40d164355733577bc5.JPG

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I have refinished my Spector and while at it I moved the controls to the back. The sliders do what the pots did, vol, vol, bass, treble. This was my gigging bass for a long time, I never touched the controls on the bass but got annoyed when they were accidentaly turned when getting it out from the gigbag etc.  So I thought it was a great idea and it was since I never regretted. Love the clean look of the front also love when it takes a while for peolple to realize what's missing 🙂 Also the sliders are sticking out of the plate just enought so you can move but never with your body or leg or whatever it is getting in contact with in the heat of the gig 🙂IMG_5392.thumb.JPG.5be896d1c0693cba05ddf3de4824e663.JPGIMG_5394.thumb.JPG.be7ca297b8753e40d164355733577bc5.JPG

Never seen that before. Cool idea. I like 👍🏼 

20 minutes ago, ped said:

Never seen that before. Cool idea. I like 👍🏼 

Thanks @ped. It was not entirely my idea as I saw something similar on a Ritter bass in that he moved the pots to the back onto a recessed part of the cavity IIRC. Can’t really remember but I asked a local preamp maker if the pots can be replaced with sliders and it turned out to be possible so the rest was figuring out how to mount them to the control cavity cover.

Also it’s worth mentioning that there are two microswitches at the right of the two top sliders which do the coiltap for the TW pickups 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2020 at 16:59, Chopthebass said:

I know many builders like to come up with their own ideas to put their custom stamp on a bass, but just came across this. What the hell! May be ok when seated, but surely there’s potential for settings to change when the body touches you when standing up playing. Maybe if they were recessed it would be better, but still, not conveniently located!!

D3C3B184-36FA-4775-BD15-138E71D6019F.png

Why do you think the controls are at the back? Maybe it’s a leftie?

And the, erm... strings... are at the back.

• Haha 2