Why become a member? ×

Cort B4?

barrycreed

Tyre kicking / GAS attacks, came across this. I have always heard good things in general about Cort basses and guitars. This has good hardware, and is a good price. Too good to be true?

I would imagine the resale value would be lower than the big brand names, and it's not the "coolest" looking bass in the world, but looks like it would function pretty well.

• Like 1

I owned an older B4 with a natural ash body, a 5-piece wenge and maple neck and a wenge fingerboard, with Bartolini-licensed Mk1 pickups and preamp. Excellent value, and really a fantastic neck and overall ergonomics. I wouldn't mind owning one again, if I ever come across a 5-string for the right price I might just get it. The new ones have Markbass preamps.

Edited by LeftyJ

15 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Very Ibby SR... with a Jazz Bump and a nibble out the headstock... made in the same factory?

Yes, back when these were made in Korea they came from the same assembly line as the MIK Soundgears, and the SR500 and SR600 series share the same Bartolini-licensed pickups (made by Cort) too. These are now Indonesian-made, again along with the Soundgear. The Cort Artisan series has been around since the 1990s, almost as long as the Soundgear range (1987). 

I have a 'B4 Plus AS RM', in fact the 4 string model of the screenshot from that video. I love it. It's easily the most comfortable bass I've played, is nice and light, and the bartolini pickup/markbass preamp combo does what I need.

Admittedly I dont have much preamp experience so I'd defer to others there.

Good quality hardware - hipshot machine heads and a solid usable bridge, so the bass sits well on a strap.

I find the satin (I think) neck finish very smooth and easy to get around, but I'm sure some people prefer glossy necks. I don't know if the roasted maple board makes any discernible difference sound wise but it looks nice!

One very minor annoyance is the small headstock means there is some wiggle room in both standard sized gig bags I own.

All in all I'm a big fan!

Great playing basses. HOWEVER, as several have noted, pickups/preamp are subpar. The recent inclusion of the Markbass pre has improved things. Suggestion to change the electronics IMO is ill advised on a bass of this value, unless it is viewed as a 100% ‘keeper.’ I’ve got an A4 with the same issues but it plays really well so has remained in the lineup. I’ve considered replacing electronics package but it’s an expensive and risky proposition. It’s a mystery that Cort has persisted with the Bart mk1 setup - they’d sell far more with a change. 
If you can get the Markbass pre, you’ll have a great bass. Good luck!