Why become a member? ×

What sets off your BROCD? (Bass Related OCD)

donslow

On the silly side I got two dummy knobs on my bass that are purely there for cosmetic reason and serve no practical function, since I wired the P pickup I installed in the bass directly to the output jack socket, yet I am very conscious about and insisting on having them turned up to the max position, which actually does matter a little from a purely visual point of view, since one of them got numbers from 0 to 10 printed on it and the other being a chickenhead style knob, and that despite my bass actually looking pretty battered as a whole and me generally not being overly concerned about how it actually looks otherwise.

Of stuff that actually does really matter I am also really specific about and quite a perfectionist when it comes to the tone of my bass, having spend hours doing relatively minor EQ adjustments of my basic always on clean tone (using my Zoom MS70 CDR multi stomp pedal as my main equalizer, having set up a patch with six 2 band fully parametric equalizers, being very specific about the Q value of the different frequency bands I have dialed in, but only cutting or boosting -/+ 1dB on most of them, and non of them more than -/+ 2dB), as well as on my drive pedals, and continuing doing minor adjustments almost every time I pick up the bass, something I didn't use to really pay much attention to, if any, but I think became increasingly important to me as my experience with recording, producing, mixing and mastering my own music grew, gradually making me more  and more aware of the finer tonal details of instruments and music in general (which I think would be quite obvious if comparing my musical productions through time), which I guess is only a good thing, even if certainly making dialing in my tone considerably more circumstantial.   

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Mismatched strings on an instrument - when one is clearly not from the same set as the others. Just why?

Misaligned or unevenly spaced pedals on a pedalboard - aesthetics man, aesthetics!

Leads that go straight from the instrument to the floor to the amp without being hooked up through the strap - one step away from instant muteness 

Missing knobs on either instrument, amp or pedal - just looks painful 

Slack in the string windings - just sloppy

When you look at bridge saddles and know there's no way the bass will intonate properly.

When the strings don't line up with the pickup polepieces (even though it's unlikely to affect the tone).

Curly guitar leads where the curl has gone backwards.

People who use Gaffa tape to hold their straps on their guitar.

Amp head overhang.

Speaking of SRs, I think they’re great, but sadly I can only own ones with a top/veneer as I’d rather see a full-width Marshall head precariously overhanging my One10 than this...

AD43EAF2-0F1A-4FAB-965D-DF298FB4E733.jpeg.62b52dcb7da9066681781ee12d03989f.jpeg

I know that it can’t be / isn’t meant to be parallel but I just can’t deal with it!

Edited by Ed_S
Improved lexical choice.
  • Haha 1