Why become a member? ×

What sets off your BROCD? (Bass Related OCD)

donslow

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

My only BR OCD is other bassists assuming they can use my bass rig without asking or first putting drinks on my amp on stage. 

I don't personally care about clip on tuners being left on headstocks or whether people's cables do / don't match. Reading this I think it's fair to say that we are all going to be guilty of doing *something* that other bassists don't approve of! I guess you just do your thing and if people like it, then great. 

Me too. If someone comes on stage with a bass and asks "Where do I plug in?" without asking me beforehand if they can use my gear, I point to the nearest mains socket. Drinks on gear is a no-no, of course, especially as most has cooling fans these days, which will suck anything that spills into the amp and destroy it. One guy I allowed to use my amp put a pint on it. I tried and failed to catch his eye to ask him to move it (pretty sure he was ignoring me), so I went on stage mid-song and did it myself.

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

One guy I allowed to use my amp put a pint on it. I tried and failed to catch his eye to ask him to move it (pretty sure he was ignoring me), so I went on stage mid-song and did it myself.

I did that myself and it was a full orchestra and the bass player was right at the back with a pint on my amp. The conductor was a bit surprised.  :)

Frank.

• Like 2

Drinks on amps?

Did a rather posh jazz gig Saturday before last and as we started the last number the restaurant owner, who had possibly had a drink or two herself, came up behind me on stage and proceeded to stand 4 champagne flutes on my amp and then rather unsteadily fill each one with Chateau whatever.

I motioned for her to stop but she just smiled and pointed to the bottle, mouthing "No,no, this is really good stuff"

I was completely distracted from my playing, expecting the very worst to happen behind me, but miraculously we all survived.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And this random scattering of...stuff... That toggle switch directly below the jack socket is the worst bit, tho...

alembic.JPG

I tell a lie; it's the 70s rectangular socket above it with the two cross-heads; you'd think for a billion pounds* they'd get a round one that looked slightly more in keeping...

* I'm guessing here, but I don't think I'm far off...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quilly said:

When I play someone else’s bass and the action , string height is way too high or the strings are 100years old. I think... Why? . Often they are really good basses.

Made me think - I'm a bit OCD about letting anyone play my bass. Think its stems from a good friend who can kill a set of strings dead after playing it for 10 mins. He has really clammy hands and I just hate playing an instrument he's used. (He uses Elixirs for this reason!) Also don't mind oily marks from my use, but hate to see instruments clarted up (Yorkshire term) that have not been kept even moderately clean. Television highlights this too.

(Just to clarify, I'm not a cleaning freak per se, but like to see stuff looked after, especially on stage where it's most important.) 

There's another thread somewhere about relic basses, but I will say that as someone who makes some sort of effort to look after his basses, seeing something that not just looks distressed [1] but has been deliberately made so sets my teeth on edge. Even if it is a Fender.

[1] To quote Pterry, "It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as 'slightly foxed', although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Drinks on amps?

Did a rather posh jazz gig Saturday before last and as we started the last number the restaurant owner, who had possibly had a drink or two herself, came up behind me on stage and proceeded to stand 4 champagne flutes on my amp and then rather unsteadily fill each one with Chateau whatever.

I motioned for her to stop but she just smiled and pointed to the bottle, mouthing "No,no, this is really good stuff"

I was completely distracted from my playing, expecting the very worst to happen behind me, but miraculously we all survived.

That is staggeringly disrespectful of her. I would have had to stop her. I wonder what she would have said had you placed glasses on something she valued and started to fill them.

7 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

That is staggeringly disrespectful of her. I would have had to stop her. I wonder what she would have said had you placed glasses on something she valued and started to fill them.

Yes, I would have actually had to stop playing and go over to stop her. I couldn't put up with that.

20 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Obviously wasn't done intentionally - people see our gear as big black boxes with a flat surface to put things on. Would have been really hard to convey your reasons for not wanting her to do this whilst playing I would imagine, and risk ruining the relationship with the venue and booker. Tough call though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

And this random scattering of...stuff... That toggle switch directly below the jack socket is the worst bit, tho...

alembic.JPG

I'm not a fan of multiple knobs, switchers, levers and faders on an instrument, but that's a comment for another thread...

What makes my OCD go into overdrive, is if I see a knob, or even worse a toggle switch, dangerously close to the "playing area" of the bass. What if it's a self destruct switch! One over aggressive twang and we could all go up in smoke! Or even worse, you might have to re-adjust your pickup blending...

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

alembic.JPG

I tell a lie; it's the 70s rectangular socket above it with the two cross-heads; you'd think for a billion pounds* they'd get a round one that looked slightly more in keeping...

See that would look fine if the pointy switch by the bridge was just above where the jack socket is, the top pointy switch was down just a bit and the switch was a push pull somewhere and then the sockets could be on the edge or the back. Except the switches then would need to be spaced properly. Don't they have rulers?

20 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

…… and then there is OCD about not sticking to the thread topic :lol: 

I hate that too, my new bread machine bakes a perfect loaf but that damn paddle always leaves a hole in the bottom. 

I could use the dough setting and put it in the oven, but I think that defeats the object, don't you? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I hate that too, my new bread machine bakes a perfect loaf but that damn paddle always leaves a hole in the bottom. 

I could use the dough setting and put it in the oven, but I think that defeats the object, don't you? 

I set an alarm for 45 minutes, when the second kneading finishes, then, with floured fingers, hoick the paddle out from under the dough. No paddle stuck in the loaf = One Happy Bunny. Maybe you could adopt a similar manoeuvre..? B|

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I set an alarm for 45 minutes, when the second kneading finishes, then, with floured fingers, hoick the paddle out from under the dough. No paddle stuck in the loaf = One Happy Bunny. Maybe you could adopt a similar manoeuvre..? B|

Careful, I think we're in danger of straying slightly off topic.

• Haha 1