Why become a member? ×

What sets off your BROCD? (Bass Related OCD)

donslow

So, everyone has something that sets them off, call it OCD you like, or don’t but there’s always something to niggle at us

Following a conversation recently I realised it’s not only me that gets a little...shall we say, anxious, when strings don’t line up dead centre of pickup pole pieces (there are many other things)

what sets off your OCD? gets your goat? Or just plain irritates you?

• Like 1

Dot inlays (in general). Dot inlays, especially when they don't align with the strings.

Non-adjustable nuts.

Ball-ends resting at different angles in the bridge slots.

Misaligned silk wrappings on the headstock.

Double bass bridges at an angle that's not 90 degrees to the top.

Double bass bridges not aligned with the notches in the F holes, and/or not centred between them.

Misaligned silk wrappings (if present) at the tailpiece, and in the scroll.

I am very OCD... 9_9

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Dot inlays (in general). Dot inlays, especially when they don't align with the strings.

Non-adjustable nuts.

Ball-ends resting at different angles in the bridge slots.

Misaligned silk wrappings on the headstock.

Double bass bridges at an angle that's not 90 degrees to the top.

Double bass bridges not aligned with the notches in the F holes, and/or not centred between them.

Misaligned silk wrappings (if present) at the tailpiece, and in the scroll.

I am very OCD... 9_9

I believe you’ve just made me realise there’s more to my own list than I knew

My niggle about pole pieces also goes to your dot inlays aligning with the strings

its the only reason I have adjustable bridges or threaded saddles on any of my instruments 

Edited by donslow
  • Like 1

Irritated, no, but mildly amused at all the (to me...) niggly little things that make no difference (except, maybe, to the price...) of stuff, basses included. It has strings..? Check. It's in tune..? Check. Strap-locks secure..? Check. Rock on..! Most of these things I wouldn't even notice if they were pointed out to me..! I don't think I'm alone, either. :friends:

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Don't know if it qualifies with your definition, and it happens more on other instruments than bass..........

but it's when people leave a clip-on tuner on the headstock during a performance.

This!

36 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Don't know if it qualifies with your definition, and it happens more on other instruments than bass..........

but it's when people leave a clip-on tuner on the headstock during a performance.

I really don't get this. I don't see the problem with having a tuner on the headstock. 

Then again I really don't get many of the others either. 

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

This!

So the tuner should be unclipped every time..? I thought the very usefulness came from it being immediately accessible..! 9_9 Again, I don't even notice these things. :lol: How about a Go-Pro camera. Is that 'allowed'..? :/ Or a camera and a clip-on tuner..!  :scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Nothing bothers me particularly but I am not keen on seeing the ends of strings wobbling about dangerously, rather poked down into the middle of the tuners.

I can’t stand this too. Along with those people who can’t restring it properly, and winding too much string on the post so it overlaps. Can’t stand basses being propped up against an amp or a chair either, especially onstage! Get a stand for crying out loud. Also straps that are not adjusted properly (or just too long )leaving a section extending past the strap buttons. 🤨

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

Can’t stand basses being propped up against an amp or a chair either, especially onstage! Get a stand for crying out loud.

I saw a band once (Pins)........ they did a soundcheck, and then left the stage for a while. The bass player just left the bass lying on the floor.

Well I suppose it can't fall over from there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

So the tuner should be unclipped every time..? I thought the very usefulness came from it being immediately accessible..! 9_9 Again, I don't even notice these things. :lol: How about a Go-Pro camera. Is that 'allowed'..? :/ Or a camera and a clip-on tuner..!  :scratch_one-s_head:

It’s what annoys me, your mileage may vary. And if I used a clip on tuner live (and I have on occasion, although a pedal is my preference) I would remove it after use.