Why become a member? ×

...just comparing my new rig?

KASH

I bought a GK 1001RBII + 410 RBX (400w 8ohms) today!!! ;D Still waiting for arrival though. I was wondering, I play with a Peavey Max 450 + Peavey 410 TVX 4ohm on my rehearsal room...do you think I'll notice a big difference in the sound, will my rig sound louder/better? 8)

Different. Whether it is better depends on taste. Some people like the Peavey sound. Whether it is louder depends on the sensitivty of the cabs and the watts delivered into the load of the cabs. Sensitivity is more important. Why dont you read the stuff on the basschat wiki that explains all this.

[quote name='josh3184' post='437755' date='Mar 17 2009, 08:20 PM']Josh speaks the truth! He should know too, he nicked my GK rig :)[/quote]

Dude I had the biggest smile today when I plugged in the GK speakon which showed up today. Just jamming along to The Police and assorted Sting songs, and then some Stevie, this rig really punches the EBS rig in the face.

The tone is smoother than Kate Beckinsales fine arse, but as growly as Lorraine Kelly after a spicy burrito.

[quote name='josh3184' post='437761' date='Mar 17 2009, 08:27 PM']Lorraine... the images... ow... time to go wire wool my eyes...

gotta love the separate power section for the tweeter though :) never got to use it myself, does it make much difference?[/quote]

Just think of Coleen Nolan and you'll be fine!

It really does man, the tweeter and woofer controls really come into play, as does the contour and presence controls. It really is just as Hi-Fi as the mroe expensive stuff, but just feels more honest and is half the price. I think I've found a keeper.

[quote name='KASH' post='437823' date='Mar 17 2009, 09:34 PM']Well...I'm really looking forward to play with it in the studio, hopefully it will cut through better than the peavey and don't need to push it so hard.[/quote]

Peavey cabs are quite efficient, but a little lacking in tone. I had a 4x10TVX and 115BXBW and ran it with a few different heads/rigs and it was never anything really special.

GK on the other hand IS special. They do rock well, very well, and the thing they're reknowned for is growl. A friend of mind had a Hartke rig and was using an ODB-3 for dirt, when he got his 700RB he didn't have to use it. It's not a dirty sound from a GK, but very aggressive and brings out the snarl. GK cabs are quit eefficient as well so volume wise they won't be lacking, but tonally you'll notice a lot more of that X-factor that the Peavey doesn't have. The gel where it sits in there perfectly and the mix feels tighter.

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='440533' date='Mar 20 2009, 06:35 PM']Peavey cabs are quite efficient, but a little lacking in tone. I had a 4x10TVX and 115BXBW and ran it with a few different heads/rigs and it was never anything really special.[/quote]
Thats cos you were mixing cabs :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='440620' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:35 PM']Thats cos you were mixing cabs :)[/quote]

I thought that too and even when I borrowed another 410TVX it didn't sound anything specacular. The best it ever sounded was when I used just the 15", it was scooped and aggressive but got lost. The 4x10" was much louder but just sounded, well, bland. A support band ran an SVT3 through it once and it didn't really change. Loud though, very loud. Did I mention it was loud?. Cos it was. Loud that is.

Edited by Dan_Nailed

[quote name='Dan_Nailed' post='440816' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:20 AM']I thought that too and even when I borrowed another 410TVX it didn't sound anything specacular. The best it ever sounded was when I used just the 15", it was scooped and aggressive but got lost. The 4x10" was much louder but just sounded, well, bland. A support band ran an SVT3 through it once and it didn't really change. Loud though, very loud. Did I mention it was loud?. Cos it was. Loud that is.[/quote]
Was it loud :)

I ran a GK RB700 combo with a 2x10RBH extension cab for a while. It was so loud it was almost unplayable. HUGE sound and once I turned down the tweeter it sounded very clean. I wouldn't say neutral because it was quite aggressive sounding but loads of growl. I miss it (apart from the weight). If you have wheels on yours keep an eye on them. Mine distintgrated over hard surfaces.

@ KASH

Did you buy yourself a amp without checking it out first?

I can't tell you if your new setup is going to be louder, but I can tell something about GK. I use (or rather; used) a GK 700-RBII head with a Hartke 4X10''XL cab. Sounds great! Loud enough for bigger gigs. And what I really liked about the GK is that you can use the EQ en the contour, prescence and boost knobs to create a variety of characteristic GK sounds: from a smooth jazz sound, to a thundering slapsound, to vintage rock. But whether you'll like those sounds all depends on taste...
Currently i use me GK as a backup only, scince i recently bought a Fender Bassman 135 tubeamp + 4X12'' cab.