Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH400-SMX & GP12-SMX

VTypeV4

2 hours ago, VTypeV4 said:

Brilliant - try it and see! It never did Mark King any harm.. 🤣

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you're still getting great service from the rig. I wouldn't worry about selling the 4x10 as that 400w power stage (as I'm sure you're already aware) is more than capable of driving pretty much anything.. I still need to try the SMX through my SWR boxes as they're fantastic with the V4..

Glad you enjoyed the review. 😎

It is a beast - only ever had the volume on 2 maybe 2.5... even when using the rig as a monitor! - I am tempted on getting the ELF for pub gigs... I loaded the head into my car today for a rehearsal to make sure she plays OK (as been hibernation since our last gig before COVID) and i forgot how hear the head really is!!!

• Like 1

Plugged in my bass and tried out the amp. My other amp is a Markbass SD1200., which is a T- Rex. But this thing has to be Godzilla..... Phew, what a sound and headroom.....400 transistor and transformer watts easily outnumber 1200 class D watts. Really happy with this. 😻 grtz, Marc. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Great review.
Have two 300 SMXs, both taken from combos, so wider than a factory head and with vents at each side.
One is dodgy, sound breaks up now and then so needs attention. But since the other works fine I haven't bothered.
Also have an AH250 Mk V and AH150 Mk V.
But I'm old so go places with a Fender Rumble 500 combo, at 36lbs a doddle to carry.
I'm thinking to get a modern light cab though, then use my Trace/s again.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
SunSt Trace jp

The big SMX and it's cabs happily sat in the live room at the studio. I've not used it myself much this year although it's seen some action featuring on a few sessions and sounding great - as ever. 😃 There have been no issues and the rig remains 100% reliable - no doubt, it's just as good as the day it came out of the factory. 💯

SunSt Trace jp

Up in the control room, the 'mini mighty' rig now sit's in the spot previously occupied by the 400. 😃

The two setups do sound (a little) different but I'll put 90% of that difference down to the 4x8 vs the 2x10 - both fifteens feature the same driver plus it goes without saying, the pre-amp stage is identical. Yes, the 400 has more I/O options and features but in terms of tonal control, there's no difference One thing that is apparent is that the 300SMX is a little noisier both in terms of fan and background noise.

I'll do some 'gut shots' when I get chance as I've not yet been inside this one. I assume it's fitted with the notorious 'bipolar bear' power stage although the previous owner didn't mention any failures and he'd owned it all from new.. 😬  

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
Service 300Smx 722

Service 300Smx 722

Service 300Smx 722

Service 300Smx 722

Service 300Smx 722

Service 300Smx 722

I decided to give the little SMX a quick once over yesterday and it seems all is well inside. It's good and reassuring to see the Clive Button power amplifier section in there as I had suspected it might have the somewhat more troublesome bi-polar bear - I assume the CB was factory fitted judging by the date stickers and gobs of hot glue. It didn't really need it once I saw how clean it was but I felt better giving the old girl a quick dust out by the fan / heat sink and a squirt of contact cleaner..  😀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I also want to thank you for this brilliant review. I bought the same rig about 2 months ago, and am falling in love with it. When in the States, I used to play through a MusicMan head that also had a valve preamp section, and this often reminds me of that rig, although this one seems a lot more versatile. If I want 80's (or a good jazz sound), I'll use my Pedulla 5'er. For more modern stuff, it's a Yamaha active bass. The amp responds to both (although quite differently) beautifully. Well worth hauling the extra heft around, IMO. 

Well done on a very useful review!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I also want to thank you for this brilliant review. I bought the same rig about 2 months ago, and am falling in love with it. When in the States, I used to play through a MusicMan head that also had a valve preamp section, and this often reminds me of that rig, although this one seems a lot more versatile. If I want 80's (or a good jazz sound), I'll use my Pedulla 5'er. For more modern stuff, it's a Yamaha active bass. The amp responds to both (although quite differently) beautifully. Well worth hauling the extra heft around, IMO. 

Well done on a very useful review!

Glad it's been of use to you. 😀

My 400 is currently aloft the Ampeg PR810H at the studio which is a pretty formidable rig although it's usually used fo it's comprehensive I/O often linking into other setups and / or a clean DI rather than it's brute power. Recently, I've liberated the 2103H and 1153 for use with the V-Type V6 which also work really well together.

• Like 1