Why become a member? ×

Please identify this Tokai Hard Puncher

fuzzkeyone

I did a Google Image search - nothing remotely like yours. It could be a really early one or...it's not what it pertains to be.

The logo looks hard/problematic to produce suggesting it might be genuine. It looks like the tuners are also stamped with the same logo, if it isn't the real thing somebody went to a lot of trouble to produce a fake.

Just speculating...

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

That's odd. I'm by no means an MIJ Tokai expert but have come across a few, and this has several details I've never seen on one before: embossed logo, engraved enclosed tuners, "JAPAN" stamped neckplate.

Fakes exist (Google "Fakai") but I think this has way too much unique detail to be a knockoff. It may be that the "Morris" pickup logo's a clue - it's known that Tokai contracted out to other Japanese manufacturers in the early 70s because their own small Hamamatsu workshop couldn't keep pace with demand - some of the Love Rock LP replicas were made by Kasuga Gakki, for example. This bass isn't 70s era and is far from replica standard, but it might be that Moridaira, who own the Morris brand, was contracted to build for Tokai at some point.

All conjecture, but like @Skybone says, post it on the Tokai forum, if anyone know anything, it'll be on there.

• Like 2