Why become a member? ×

4x10 cab speakers

Smithy1834

Hey guys, im building a 4x10 cab with no horn but im not sure what speakers to use, if someone could help me out and tell me what speakers would be the best to use that would be great, the amp im using is rated at 300w @ 4ohms minimum power, 

• 18mm Hardwood Ply Cabinet from
  • 18mm Softwood Ply Cabinet panels.

Complete cab dimensions

• Width 584 mm
  • Height 602 mm
  • Depth 246 mm

Hopefully Bill, Phil or Stevie will assist on this, as they have great technical knowledge, but if they fit I really like Eminence Betas. Horses for courses, there may be/probably are better speakers out there but I just really like the sound of them.

29 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I doubt that they're bass drivers, as the magnets don't have pole piece venting. If they were sold as bass drivers it must have been decades ago, before pole piece venting became a standard feature.  OP, you've got the cart so far out in front of the horse that it's not even within sight. If you're going to build your own speaker do so using a proven and tested design that leaves nothing to chance.For instance, a cab only 246mm deep won't produce much bass. 400mm is more like it.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 1

It might be fun to design a 4x10 for you. It'll be a good lockdown project. I'm sure people will contribute all sorts of ideas. The cab you are proposing is kinda small, around 85litres if these are the internal dimensions even less if they are external.

Any reason why you have chosen this size?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Any thoughts about what sort of sound you are trying to achieve?

You could just about get away with Eminence beta's. on the eminence site there is a design for them in a 20l cab it would give you a 3dB peak at about 120Hz and a roll off below there so it will be 12db down at 50Hz, not much deep bass but with a bit of punch leant by the 3db peak. Given that the beta has a very marked peak in the upper mids above 1kHz that is going to give you a real smiley face response baked in, that might be the sound you like. 3mm excursion limit isn't great and you can get more for your money by buying European made units over Eminence

Bass response in 20l cab

image.png.d24f1ceca9698cbfdc103a7ff633547c.png

frequency response curve from Eminence website

image.png.4cc6f028266ea1e6e92cd8b582f51cb8.png

It looks possible that the 121-4 speakers in Fryer's & Paul S's were not the original, but they could be a correct replacement (3 brown cones & 1 black?). Couldn't find any useful link to the model 121-4 or the code 96000416.

However, judging by this link -

https://assets.peavey.com/category/manuals/711_17511.pdf

a Peavey "Sheffield" TXF 1035 was the speaker fitted in various TVX's & the 8 ohm TVF.

This link - https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Peavey-Sheffield-1035-Replacement-8-Ohm-Sub-10-Speaker-for-410TX-210TX-810TX-Cabinet-PVI-100-Mic-PEAVEY-PACKAGE-367
gives you the T/S parameters for the 1035.

Peavey Electronics UK Service agent is /was in Corby @ 01536 461234 or customer service @ peavey.com & they may be able to help you with matching up the 121-4 & reference 96000416 (presumably for all 4 drive-units) to the TXF 1035 then you will have accurate info for matching fryers' speakers to a suitable cab. More on that another time.

If you put the TXF 1035 parameters into cabinet matching software, the results come out very similar to Lozz's suggestion of the Eminence Beta's and Phil Starr's graph (black) of the "bass response in a 20L cab".

Edited by Balcro

Hey everyone. This cab is actually sold as a kit on ebay pre cut and ready to be put together. The reason i decided to purchase this kit is because its fairly small for a 4x10 and it was going to be cheaper to buy the kit than it would have been to buy a cab, the amp i would mainly be using with this cab is a kustom DE300HD head which is 300w at 4ohms minimum, i was originally after a 6x10 but couldn't find any kits or cheap cabs, and as i dont have the tools to make my own i decided to go for a 4x10 kit. The design for this cab is going to be based off an ampeg svt cab with black vintage looking grill cloth and black tolex. Though i could cover it in purple carpet like my last cab i built, which was a 2x15 cab made out of thin ply, i based it off of the hartke 2x15 xl which i put 2x15 eminance delta 15a drivers which actually sound alright in the cab, the cab vibrates on some notes but i fixed most of that by adding studio foam to the interior.IMG_20200529_215857_433.thumb.jpg.8757738f4bd8b84fa57add47be4e287b.jpg

IMG_20200529_215857_431.jpg

• Like 1

Since the cab on EBay wasn't designed specifically to work with the drivers you are looking at the results will probably be less than optimal at best, and possibly really bad. If you're looking for an inexpensive cab buy used, with C-19 putting everyone out of a gig there's no shortage of used out there.

Well lets see how it goes first, im thinking it will probably sound okay, im not expecting perfect results but if it does the job then thats all that matters. The problem buying used is getting something i want thats local for a good price. Ive looked on facebook market place and ebay, non of which i can find any cabs in my area used for a good price.