Why become a member? ×

How to turn your TC Electronic Shaker vibrato into a thick lush chorus effect reminiscent of the legndary Boss CE-1!!!

Baloney Balderdash

The above deleted settings resulted in an extremely way too thick and muddy chorus that practically was unusable and didn't sound anything like the Boss CE-1, the bellow described settings doesn't result in a chorus effect that sound much like the Boss CE-1 either, but it is non the less an amazing and really lush sounding one.

I apologize if anyone wasted their time on the now deleted old instructions from my original post, and was given wrong expectations, as said though, the bellow instructions should result in an amazing sounding chorus,. that I use myself in my current setup, if still not sounding much like a Boss CE-1 though. 

Much prefer the chorus I was able to get out of my TC Electronic Shaker Mini vibrato, by using the vibrato modulation type and then blend with clean signal, rather than choosing any of the actual chorus algorithms that the Toneprint editor for the Shaker vibrato actually allows for as well.

If anyone is interested in the exact settings I used for the TC Electronic Shaker Mini vibrato based chorus, the Toneprint editor settings are as follows (I am writing this off memory, so might have gotten some names wrong, the settings though should be correct) )* :

First of all chose the "Pete's Vibrato" Toneprint template from the "Template" menu (not sure if this actually matters though).

Then in the actual editor do as follows:

First tab: 

- Turn "Kill Dry" "Off"

Second tab:

- First chose the "Tri-Chorus" from the "Modulation Type" menu, to get access to adjusting the "Pre-Delay 1" parameter, and then set that to "4.9ms", this parameter is grayed out and not adjustable when choosing "Vibrato" as the modulation type, but the setting still remains when it has been set using the "Tri-Chorus" (now I am not sure if this actually got any effect whatsoever on the "Vibrato" modulation type, but as said, the value once set remains visible when you switch the modulation type, just not being adjustable in "Vibrato" mode)

- Now chose "Vibrato" from the "Modulation Type" menu

- "Modulation Active" to "On"

- Then chose "Triangle" from the "LFO Waveform" menu

- And set the "Modulation HiCut" to "6kHz"

- "Output Level" to "0dB" (unity gain)

- Set both the "Pre-Delay 2" and "Pre-Delay 3" to "0.1ms" 

- The "Feedback" to "0%" and "Feedback HiCut" to "20kHz".

- "Vib Ramp Time" to "0.1ms"

- The rest of the settings doesn't matter as those will be controlled with the knobs anyway, as assigned in the third tab, but just to be 100% sure set the remaining parameters not mentioned above to minimum position.

Third tab:

- Assign the "Rate" knob to "Modulation - Rate 1", and nothing else, then assign the range of the knob to go from "800Hz" to "4Khz" in the graph.

- Assign the "Depth" knob to "Modulation - Depth 1", and nothing else, then assign the range of the knob to go from "0%" to "100%" in the graph.

- Assign the "Ramp" knob to "Modulation - Clean Mix", and nothing else, then assign the range of the "Clean Mix" to go from "0%" to "100%" in the graph.

(for the graph assigned to the "Rate" knob you'll properly want a less steep climb on the graph to start with, and then increasing for the higher more extreme parameter values, though a straight line with a completely even climb should work as well, and most likely this is what you would want for the "Depth" and "Mix")

)*  If you got the regular big version of the Shaker vibrato then you already got a knob dedicated to "Clean Mix", so you can eventual assign the "Ramp" knob to control the "Modulation HiCut" instead, as a sort of tone control.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash