Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Tinkering

Jabba_the_gut

I've built a few different short scale basses now at various scale lengths 23" (headless), 27", 29" and 30" and I'm still enjoying tinkering with these!!  I'm particularly enjoying playing the 27" basses so much so I'm building a 27" 5 string at the moment (on another thread). I ordered a generic neck blank and the one that arrived was quite wide, wide enough to have sufficient spare for a headless neck....

So, I'm going to make a 27.5" neck for one of the mini headless basses just to see what that is like. I'm hoping to be able to use normal short scale strings on that to achieve the right tension etc. - might work, might not!!  The reason for it being 27.5"? Well, that is the scale length of a spare slotted fretboard I have, leftover as the result of an error with my measurements from a previous build...!!! I've also made a neck blank for a 17" scale neck as another possibility - that would be tuned an octave up (@ped's fault again with his picture thread of really short basses). I've got a bit more to look at with that to see how the pocket tapers  with it being much shorter (i don't want to modify the body).

This is the neck blank for the 5 string neck - it really is quite wide!! Next to the ruler, I've got some other laminated offcuts that will form the centre section of the neck. The shorter piece is the blank for the 17" neck made from offcuts from other necks

nPEnbOx.jpg

yE9eZMG.jpg

The two necks from the one neck blank with their corresponding fretboards

OdAZpyc.jpg

Note sure what the result of this will be but only one way to find out!!

• Like 10

First up was to cut the truss rod slot in the neck. I bought a palm router recently and it is lovely to use for jobs like this, a bit more fiddly to adjust  but easy to work with.

0CZ61As.jpg?1

Once this was done I stuck a slotted fretboard on. Next I needed to carefully check the scale length in order to work out exactly where the heel needs to be. This was definitely one of those 'measure twice, cut once' moments (watch me eat my words later in this thread!!).

I'm using a Nova headpiece on this neck so trimmed the fretboard to a shallow slope to mount this on. After that I cut the excess off with a bandsaw then trimmed the neck on a router table using my mdf neck template.

duz8kZl.jpg?1

B0SGtvg.jpg?1

The neck fitted quite nicely into the body and feels that it should work out quite reasonably. This really isn't the best picture but it gives a rough idea of where this is going.

nhSrcza.jpg?2

Next task is sorting the neck inserts followed by a load of shaping.

• Like 2

I like inserts for neck bolts but I don't!! They work nicely for basses like this where I'm using allen head bolts to hold the neck but there just seems to be a luck dip as to how good the inserts are. Some I have bought are so soft they are neck to useless. This is made mode difficult due to the hardness of the woods I'm inserting them into. I always use an offcut of the same wood to try them in first. So drill the holes and off we go!

NYnEEnS.jpg?2

With the holes drilled and countersunk I fitted the inserts and all went in perfectly! Result! Normally a pain.

I also fitted the headpiece then couldn't resist bolting it together and sticking some strings on it to get a rough idea where any adjustments might be required. Doesn't look like it will need adjusting - another result. I'm off to do the lottery now whilst I'm on a roll!!!

MLIFC4L.jpg?1

FX2SSJa.jpg?2

I was going to have just a zero fret but looks like I will need a nut to space the strings correctly. That'll be the next job.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...